Ultra small desktop speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i want to use four of these drivers (2 drivers per speaker) to build a very thin speaker than can be hidden INSIDE of a large book with the drivers firing out of the spine. Based on the specs, what kind of box do I need? (Ported/sealed? volume?)
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
Power Handling (RMS) 2 Watts
Power Handling (max) 4 Watts
Impedance 8 ohms
Frequency Response 240 to 20,000 Hz
Sensitivity 77.9 dB 2.83V/1m
Voice Coil Diameter 0.50"
THIELE-SMALL PARAMETERS
Resonant Frequency (Fs) 274 Hz
DC Resistance (Re) 7.18 ohms
Voice Coil Inductance (Le) 0.29 mH
Mechanical Q (Qms) 2.84
Electromagnetic Q (Qes) 1.25
Total Q (Qts) 0.87
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms) 0.69 mm/N
BL Product (BL) 2.2 Tm
Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms) 0.52g
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax) 0.7 mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd) 3.92 cm²
MATERIALS OF CONSTRUCTION Cone Material Aluminum
Surround Material Rubber
Magnet Material Neodymium
MOUNTING INFORMATION
Overall Outside Diameter 1.26"
Baffle Cutout Diameter 1.24"
Depth 0.57"
# Mounting Holes 4

IF......the intention was a stealthy design where there were concealed within a shelf of actual books, the results would be kinda cool. You would need to do so to eliminate further efficiency losses from Baffle step by using an extended baffle......by way of real books extending on either side. For a full range solution and save those little drivers midrange clarity, I'd suggest a central, large spined 'book' enclosure for a subwoofer or bass unit. You could really get creative and do it bandpass style with the driver completely enclosed within the book, only vented through the spine....or more stealthy through the top 'pages'. Such a setup would be pretty inovative.......and cool!

There's other small format drivers that perform better than those you've spec'd. Check out the little Vifa TC6 full rangers. I'd use four per side and cross around 200hz in that configuration.

I'm trying to keep the cost down a little bit as these are just to make sound.. not really to sound all that good. The person I am building for doesn't really care that much.
I have used the vifa tympany drivers before and I do like them. Picked them up on a buyout for $5 from parts express once. Built a mini TL box and currently use them for PC speakers for my son.
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3418

How about these?
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-208

Last edited:
I've used the Visaton BF32 before and the spec on their website is accurate, mine actually measured slightly better in the last octave. These are surprisingly linear at low listening levels with distortion close to 0.1% for most of the drivers useful range. Wont go that loud though.

If the BF45 is built around a similar motor then it'd probably be a safe bet too.

Using 4 of either per side would give you more output, bare in mind that the bf32 needs about 50-100 sqcm behind it to work decently.

im using Visaton frs5x in a pair of mutilated Lansing pc speaker shells. The enclosed volume is akin to a half tumble glass, maybe 200cc volume. They sound surprisingly good given the woefully small volume. In a book where the spine is wide enough (these are 2 inch drivers) these would be far happier. Id recommend them, cheap and sound nice. They may not be as cheap as the others, depending who you buy from.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.