Hi-Fi Full Range speakers playing complex music - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2013, 04:21 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

That's what I said in my first reply, post #2

What is Hi-fi ?

How does a loudspeaker work ?
Old 27th April 2013, 08:37 AM   #102
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Huh? Tolerable quality is more apt.

dave
Depends on the station. BBC and some European stations now stream their classical output at 320 kps AAC format. When the Beeb began it as an experiment two years ago, their technical blog quoted one of their sound engineers as saying it was indistinguishable from the headphone feed on the mixing desk.

IME, it's better quality than their FM broadcasts.

So it depends on the station. Don't be put off; there's very good quality out there if you look for it.

Back to the thread ...
Old 27th April 2013, 09:36 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

I just do not get it, the whole point of listening to music is pleasure so if Sid likes the sound he gets out of a 57 way speaker system then that should be the end of it. Now I have come to love the sound from a small pair of single driver speakers they allow me to listen to music how I want to. That is the important thing what the listener wants to listen to, what sounds right to them and what fits in to their environment etc. Nearly all of my listening is done near field on a pair of speakers on my desk, its where I work. Until someone creates the absolute perfect speaker compromises have to be made and at the end of the day its all about the musicians art.
Old 27th April 2013, 12:30 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

You are enjoying background music, it's not the same, anyway, this is a forum not a show and tell.
Old 27th April 2013, 05:48 PM   #105
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
You are enjoying background music, it's not the same, anyway, this is a forum not a show and tell.

WTF? - tell that to all the folks who've posted drawings and photos of their projects (SHOW), ruminations on their goals and design process, or the excellent measurements & technical explanations ( TELL) - all of which have benefited open minded readers and builders.
Old 27th April 2013, 07:56 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
its really simple to understand, but this is, in no way, a argument to put the fullrange ahead of a good multi-way.
what about the sinewave that a fullrange CANNOT reproduce? the sub bass for example. Or the break up it need to do in order to make the highs. I'm sure that the sinewave is heavily affected by the break up modes. Also, what about the supposedly perfect sinewave reprodue with a fullrange when the cone excursion is ridiculous because the fullrange needs to reproduce all the bandwith.
it's actually a very good one, and not just one argument, it is just one of many. Look at the Jordan Eikona for instance - no discernable break up nodes at all, even on the waterfall. What about volume envelope (in anything but lowest bass)? The 'faster' cone wins. So a multi-way can necessarily produce a sinewave that a full-range cannot? Another fallicy. If ones idea of quality music is the most impacting subsonic bass then one has obviously alot to learn about the subtleties of great music. If you are frightened of cone excursion then load the cone in such a way that the amplifier does the work or redesign the cone! Actually you can get just about any bass extenson you want if you sacrifice a bit of sensitivity.

At the end of the day its personal musical preferences and separating the myths from the science.
Old 27th April 2013, 08:59 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
this is a forum not a show and tell.
I guess the "Photo Gallery" section will have to go then.

jeff

Hide this!Advertise here!