Project SPH-30X/8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2013, 09:09 PM   #1
pegodk is offline pegodk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Project SPH-30X/8

Hi guys

I've just finished a pair of small desktop speakers with the driver Monacor SPH-30X.

This little 3" full range has gotten some pretty good reviews and I must say it sounds promising and with surprisingly good bass.

Although it sounds promising the frequency response reveals that the sound can probably be improved even more. See the attached graph(s).

Before measuring the response I would have guessed that a strong notch around 10khz and then some baffle step attenuation would have done the trick, but since it has a dip around 3 khz that I dont want any deeper i'm now leaning towards multiple notch filters.

The solution I have so far includes 3 notch filters, but since two of them deals with the dip at 10 khz, maybe it can be done more effectively. I'm hoping that some of you guys will take a look and tell me what you think :-)

I've uploaded my frequency and impedance measurement, but also the lspCAD project file, and REW measurements to my site:

https://www.sites.google.com/site/di...0x-8-fullrange

Please note that the site is kinda outdated and not really finished, so its not allowed to look around

Regards
Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130326_143252.jpg (448.1 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130327_131406.jpg (348.2 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130329_161202.jpg (558.6 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130329_182325.jpg (250.0 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130421_161507.jpg (368.0 KB, 244 views)
File Type: png SPH-30X_lspCAD.png (57.8 KB, 146 views)
File Type: png SPH-30X_frequency_resp.png (301.9 KB, 96 views)
Old 23rd April 2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Ivo is offline Ivo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

My first reaction would be DSP. I am thinking you could shelve the response (down) from about 400 Hz to 2.5 kHz, then from 2.5 kHz to 3 kHz (up). Then you are left with that 10 kHz peak to sort out with a notch. Maybe you can do the same thing with analog networks, I wouldn't know. DSP was a step to avoid learning analog stuff. I haven't regretted it. :-)
Old 23rd April 2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Ivo is offline Ivo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Nice speakers, by the way. I have used these drivers in the past as well, I loved them. I used them filterless, with baffle shapes designed in Edge to compensate for response anomalies. I changed philosophies somewhat...
Old 23rd April 2013, 04:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you :-)

Well i have thought about digital signal processing, but i dont have much experience in that field. How is that easily implemented? The idea of these speakers, being desktop speakers, was also the possibility of playing music via an ipod and a cheap class d amp.

I already have some of the filter components, so i think i will try to do it passively, but i can imagine that it would be easier to do digitally..
Old 24th April 2013, 05:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've a pair in black (4 ohm), I've removed the dustcaps as an experiment (for use in an omni type design) but havent got around to finishing the project yet
Old 25th April 2013, 09:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If anyone is interested I have now built the (triple!) notch filter. I used components that i had just laying around, but the impact was minor.. Anyways, I think it looks very promising, but I still haven't done any listening tests :-)

Below are pictures of the simulated effect and the actual measured effect of the notch filter (looks surprisingly alike imo)
Attached Images
File Type: png SPH-30X_frequency_resp_2.png (111.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: png SPH-30X_lspCAD_2.png (93.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 15th August 2013, 09:42 AM   #7
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I've built these speaker drivers in many different boxes and have a couple of correction filter options that work well with them, if you're interested I could dig them up...

Megamini the active little beast

41Hz Audio - Megamini the active little beast

Mini Boombox based on my "Macaroni" speaker

41Hz Audio - My new gem

Hide this!Advertise here!