Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2013, 05:48 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
scaleautoart,

Please not that the break-in period for the MA Alp 7 is greater than 20 hours. However many of DIYers who've built speakers using the Alp 7.3 feel that the sound is well worth the wait.

Have fun!
Yes...I am aware of this [thanks]. I was referring to the "initial" break in period that they recommend. This is light vocals, etc at low volumes. I am now past that and ready to start running them in on the folded horns. I don't think it hurts to get some time on them while I wait for the Frugels which will be at least a few weeks.
Old 28th April 2013, 05:53 PM   #12
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleautoart View Post
I don't think it hurts to get some time on them while I wait for the Frugels which will be at least a few weeks.
No harm at all, and the smart thing to do.
Old 28th April 2013, 10:09 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I mounted the Markaudio Alpair 7 drivers into the Fostex folded horns today and even after a mere 20 hours of break in they surpass the 126 drivers that they are designed for....much smoother highs and deeper base [actually the 126 drivers display little base at this point but I only have about 50 hours on them].

I can only assume that in the FH3 enclosures they will really shine.
Old 29th April 2013, 06:15 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Flying strictly by the seat of my pants I mocked up a set of Supra Baffles which also made the drivers flush. To me these have widened the sound stage. I tend to listen pretty close up so it helps in this case.

As can be seen one speaker sits on a hearth and the other is propped up on a box until I make a base for it. Yes...this is an odd setup but I am getting decent results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alpair 7 with Supra Baffle 001.JPG (95.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Alpair 7 with Supra Baffle 002.JPG (104.3 KB, 125 views)
Old 2nd May 2013, 02:39 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

A quick follow up on the Alpair 7 drivers in this enclosure...pretty darn good. Only thing I would think might apply is to rebate the opening or make a baffle [similar to my test photos].

Again...I am new at this and very few have chimed in with suggestions or advice in my direction. Dave from Planet10 tells me the FH3 enclosures would have more "finesse". The question is would it make sense to use the FH3 to get the most out of these Alpair drivers or would the change be subtle?
Old 2nd May 2013, 02:58 PM   #16
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

FWIW, early on, Markaudio cautioned that horn loading its drivers wasn't a good plan, so there's been little experimentation AFAIK, so it wouldn't hurt to ask if this is still true with its more current products.

The FH3 OTOH doesn't load the driver anywhere near the same as a traditional BLH such as the Fostex design even though at a glance they are both what I call big vent reflexes [BVRs], i.e. 1/4 WL TL loading over most of its BW with only its HF BW being 1/2 WL horn loaded, so probably OK for Markaudio products since they work well in other mass loaded [vented] TL alignments [aka MLTL] where there's been much experimentation/build results posted.

GM
Old 3rd May 2013, 03:11 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

First series of EnABLE pattern applied [first attempt]. Not sure how many ring patterns are needed for the newer 126 driver...some I have seen only have more applied around the dust cap area and none in the mid section.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EnABLE 126 002.JPG (93.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 3rd May 2013, 05:52 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 3rd May 2013, 07:47 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Whoa! That's a lot of dots!

I have my work cut out for me
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:59 PM   #20
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleautoart View Post
Whoa! That's a lot of dots!

I have my work cut out for me

If you've not already contacted Dave re the location of additional rings, you should probably do so .

Re Alpairs in the FH3 - a great combo - the 7s definitely benefit from being rebated for flush mounting in any enclosure. If you decide to accommodate that with a separate baffle, be sure to enlarge the opening on front panel to avoid restriction at rear of driver.

Last edited by chrisb; 3rd May 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!