The REAL reasons behind open baffles 4" or less having no bass ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2013, 07:57 PM   #1
aarvin2 is offline aarvin2  Mauritius
diyAudio Member

Default The REAL reasons behind open baffles 4" or less having no bass ?

Hi guys I am very confused, I have read that the reason speakers need an enclosure is to prevent the low frequency waves coming from the front to interact with the low frequency waves(opposite phase) coming from the back and cancelling out.

Also that the quarter wavelength of the desired low frequency we would like to hit, must be smaller than one of the faces of the baffle.

The problem is that I made an experiment today and placed speakers (tang band 4" and a tang band 3" w3-1878) directly into the middle of a RW45 Rockwool pack (1200mm x 600mm x 400 mm).

The were no enhancement in bass, the only "sound" is one which is produced when all the holes behind the speakers are closed. You know, the boxy sound.

If that theory was really good, I believe all the low frequency waves coming from behind the speaker would be absorbed by this huge amount or rockwool, and that the waves coming from the front of the speaker would not be cancelled out.

But the sound was the same, no bass enhancement.

I think I must have done or understood something wrong and I would love to have some help.

Could anyone please explain why when a speaker plays on its own(without any enclosure) it produces low level of bass (sounds like a big roll off) ?

Many many thanks!
Old 17th April 2013, 08:04 PM   #2
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Bass enhancement in an enclosure comes from resonance either as a Helmholz resonator or as quarter wave / transmission line or a horn - all these methods require an output port. A sealed enclosure has no bass enhancement, it has very clean bass but is limited by the fs of the driver. This is similar to an open baffle. The bass you get will look very much like the manufacturers freq response curve. Any bass enhancement or 'gain' in bass comes from resonant amplification in an aero acoustic device.
Old 17th April 2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

You require something rigid to prevent the front wave and back wave from reaching one another. Damping material does little to absorb the lower frequency waves that are being cancelled when combined. Try a piece of wood and it will all become clear.

Damping material really only has value above what we think of as 'bass'. It helps prevent standing waves inside the cabinet and attenuates the 'midrange' frequencies that you don't want exiting the port.

Best not to use the 'enhancement' term here. It's got X answering a different question.
Old 17th April 2013, 08:52 PM   #4
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, Cal is right. In your case with a rock wool baffle you are getting worse than no bass enhancement but bass cancellation a negative gain effect. You can use even a sheet of cardboard or maybe foam core for the baffle to isolate the front and back waves. You won't get enhancement or gain but at least it won't be bass cancellation or loss.
Old 18th April 2013, 02:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Bass enhancement in an enclosure comes from resonance either as a Helmholz resonator or as quarter wave / transmission line or a horn - all these methods require an output port. A sealed enclosure has no bass enhancement, it has very clean bass but is limited by the fs of the driver. This is similar to an open baffle. The bass you get will look very much like the manufacturers freq response curve. Any bass enhancement or 'gain' in bass comes from resonant amplification in an aero acoustic device.
The problem is that what I hear doesn't come close to the frequency response graph of the manufacturer, in the sense that it seems to roll off way sooner (higher low mids). But 800Hz and more it is very representative of the graph.

I actually don't want bass enhancement but want it to sound like it it on the manufacturer's frequency graph.
Old 18th April 2013, 03:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Dipole will give a figure 8 polar pattern within the suitable pass band. Above the pass band they'll have a "ridged" polar response and below the pass band (bass) they'll have little to no output. The pass band is determined by the baffle width, which is typically very narrow or even baffleless in order to widen the pass band as much as possible. Are you listening directly on axis when you're experimenting? A microphone will help you understand what's happening here.

Can you explain more clearly what the problem is? The multiway forum may offer better explanations. Not many here do the open baffle thing. I'd love to give it a try someday, but I don't know much more about it than what I just typed.
Old 18th April 2013, 06:00 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Dipole will give a figure 8 polar pattern within the suitable pass band. Above the pass band they'll have a "ridged" polar response and below the pass band (bass) they'll have little to no output. The pass band is determined by the baffle width, which is typically very narrow or even baffleless in order to widen the pass band as much as possible. Are you listening directly on axis when you're experimenting? A microphone will help you understand what's happening here.

Can you explain more clearly what the problem is? The multiway forum may offer better explanations. Not many here do the open baffle thing. I'd love to give it a try someday, but I don't know much more about it than what I just typed.
I was indeed listening directly on axis

The problem is that people explain the lack of bass is due to low frequencies from the back interfering with frequencies coming from the front as they are out of phase.

But in my experiment where I placed the speaker in a big rockwool pack, which at this thickness and size have a huge absorption coefficient, and the result was as I explained in the original post.
Old 18th April 2013, 06:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The point that was being made is that rockwool or any other absorptive material will have the least effect on the BASS. At low frequencies, your rockwool pack is entirely transparent. You need to use a board.

Bob
Old 18th April 2013, 06:41 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
The point that was being made is that rockwool or any other absorptive material will have the least effect on the BASS. At low frequencies, your rockwool pack is entirely transparent. You need to use a board.

Bob
Hi Bob, thank you for your insight, but Rockwool is used in studios to absorb low frequency resonances isn't it(and they are using relatively thinner panels), why wouldn't it work behind a speaker for example ?
Old 18th April 2013, 06:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Rather than try to conduct a tutorial here, I suggest that you look into the coefficient of absorption of various materials. Start with http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!