Full range speakers for Homecinema purpose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is the first chance I have had to compare the A7.3 against the A12P in the same venue. This is the setup in Room 217 at LSAF. (Y'all come down tomorrow!) The A12P absolutely smokes the A7.3 in every way. It is cleaner, clearer, goes higher, goes lower and is more dynamic. I used to love the A7.3's. They were the best I had ever heard. Until the A21P's. For sure I will get a pair of A10P's when they become available.

Bob

Attachments

• LSAF.jpg
    LSAF.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 527
Coming back to the modern coaxial Beymas. They are indeed not cheap and the Neodymium magnets must play a role there. Well, I now notice that they have just released ferrite versions of them. I assume that these will be significantly cheaper but I haven't found prices yet.

From the Beyma news page:
"Extending the coaxial family, Beyma introduces four new ceramic magnet speakers; the new 5CX200Fe and 6CX200Fe are designed for full range applications, with extended low frequency response and accurate high frequencies thanks to the new and exclusive PM4 annular diaphragm. An excellent choice for high performance compact bass reflex cabinets. In the bigger range, we introduce the 12CXA400Fe and 15CXA400Fe, with common ferrite magnet design the new models are designed for top performance in the whole audible range. The typical application of these models are the stage monitors, but thanks to the outstanding response from the bottom to the top of the spectrum, more possibilities of application emerge (the neodymium versions are already installed in some reference broadcasting and recoding studios around the world)."

And here is a relevant fact sheet:
http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/5CX200FE.pdf

Hello all,

Need some help on a center channel enclosure. I am going to use a Mark Audio Alpaire 10.3 driver and would like some advice on a suitable box. This will sit in the open on top of a very large TV stand so size is not a concern. I would prefer that the driver mount center line in the enclosure and ported would be preferred. I even considered using a design similar to Jim Griffin's MLTL tall floor enclosure that is about 47" tall! If that gives you any indication of the size I have considered. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

One of the persisting errors in home theatre setups are horizontal MTM's, but if you only use one speaker it should be ok. However, with a narrow baffle (vertical setup) you will get better horizontal dispersion, which is what you want unless you are alone in front of your screen.

Btw, because full ranges always start beaming at fairly low frequencies, they are not the best for center channels anyways.

Since the OP appears committed to A10.3's for mains, he is also pretty much committed to A10.3 or A7.3 for the center. Ideally, all three speakers should be identical, but at least the same vendor. Placing a M-T speaker horizontally also presents polar problems, since the main lobe is not centered at the XO frequency.

I personally favor phantom center channel, but in this case I would recommend a Q=1 sealed box assigned as "small".

Bob

I, on the other hand, having tried "phantom" centre, have been much happier with a discrete enclosure for that purpose. Both of my recent HT systems have been Alpairs, with smallish vented enclosure for centre, and floorstanders for L&R mains, so there are definitely designs for the 7.3 and 10Ps for centres . Recent experience has been that with a little fiddling, most of Dave's designs can accommodate most of the MA product line.

I, on the other hand, having tried "phantom" centre, have been much happier with a discrete enclosure for that purpose. Both of my recent HT systems have been Alpairs, with smallish vented enclosure for centre, and floorstanders for L&R mains, so there are definitely designs for the 7.3 and 10Ps for centres . Recent experience has been that with a little fiddling, most of Dave's designs can accommodate most of the MA product line.

I am using the best of both worlds. My audio interface allows me to blend the centre channel into the mains L/R. I send about 30% to the L/R so I get pin point dialogues in the centre but since so much audio information passes through the centre channel as well, the blending with the mains makes it also work like a phantom centre. It meshes all three channels very well.

Hi Jayce996,

All things considered, multi-way loudspeaker systems tend to have lower intermodulation problems, because audio power is directed to each driver, specifically designed to handle it’s designated frequency range. The biggest culprit here is high amplitude bass frequency pushing the voice coil out of linear range, so very little BL motor linearity is left for the mid’s and hight’s.

But with the assistance of a dedicated subwoofer, such problems can be significantly reduced. In your HC setup you have already one subwoofer. The problem is, that it is connected to the LFE (Low Frequency Effects) channel, so it does not help with the bass distributed via surround channels.

This is where the idea described in http://www.filmaker.com/papers/RM-2SW_AES119NYC.pdf can help.

I have been using BBM arrangement for a couple of years, and can testify to it’s advantages. In fact, I found, that a lot of bass in DVD concerts is mixed into the L/R channels, so it helps to extract it and play it through BBM subwoofers. This arrangement allows me to create my own “mix” of bass, and it sound better then just relying on the DVD provided mix.

A classical example here would be a rock concert DVD, with LFE channel playing mostly kick-drum. Bass guitar was mixed into the L/R channels – so only a small portion was going through LFE channel. The BBM system allowed me to combine all low frequency sounds from all speakers into stereo subwoofers, and this resulted in powerful bass guitar and powerful kick-drum delivery.

Anyway, good luck with your system. There is a good chance, that it will sound very good.

Best Regards,
Bohdan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.