Full range speakers for Homecinema purpose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so remains:
-Mark Audio drivers (cheap but may be fragile)
-Ciare HX drivers (afordable)
-BMR or flatcones (but didn't find anything on that, do you have a link with prices?)

flatcones, I think he's referring to the TB 3 or 4"; they are not cheap imo and need a little filtering

Seeing as these wd be used above 100hz the CHR 70 shd be fine, and inexpensive to replace if u had a mishap.
w shipping costs it cd be best to buy all drivers from the same source

98db Chris! That's only 7db off of reference. Granted, 7db isn't easy to achieve, but that's still very impressive for Alpair7s. I assume that was a scene where all channels were driven? So the cumulative effect of all channels makes that a little less impressive. Pretty good though really. Amazing what crossing to subwoofers can do eh.

on peaks, and yes, precisely

Fostex ??

For greater SPL and perceived vocal clarity necessary for home theater satellites, crossed over to a sub below 100Hz, you could consider the Fostex 5 inchers either 105WK or 125WK, sealed in small cubes. The FF series would be even more louder albeit needing bigger cabinets. If you cross over to a subwoofer, greater x-max is not necessary.

A more expensive option with better dispersion and tonal balance is the fostex 108sigma, in a small sealed cube, on a front baffle no wider than the driver frame diameter enabling great imaging.

To the OP,

Not sure if this is out of price range or not but I'd/am thinking about the Alpair 12P for HT and music. For voices mine sound great. The higher sensitivity will go a long way towards the higher SPL some require for movies. Also, a slight high frequency roll off is (nice in my opinion) for movies as I find most films are mixed bright which doesn't sound natural. I believe that is why the THX modes roll off the highs?

I'm almost finished breaking in a pair and the Alpair 12P model at higher SPL than some of the other mentioned drivers. Also, crossing over to the sub seems ideal for them in a monitor type application. They will not leave you wanting for music applications either.

Pensil for mains and monitors for surrounds and centre? Other have posted Fostex which have higher sensitivity. I'd look towards higher efficiency drivers (+90dB) which don't require a lot of filtering.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I went though a similar exercise over the past few years.

First, I reasoned that a set of full range DIY speakers was the way to go. I built a set. I found the experience very valuable but they were lacking for home theatre. For hi-fi not bad but I really use my multi-channel set up for theatre the most. I want a 'big' sound for theatre.

Now I have floor standing speakers that are 2-way and 3-way. They do take up a bit of space but the sound is much better. They are all designated as 'large' when setting up the amplifier/receiver system so they can all play full bass and with some power and depth. I still use a sub woofer which is supposed to be mostly for low frequency 'special effects channel'.

If I had to start over I'd still go with large multi-way speakers - I'd buy them rather than make them. For large multi-way with cross-overs it's a long journey to DIY it all. You can get some good deals on used speakers if you shop around.

I went though a similar exercise over the past few years.

For large multi-way with cross-overs it's a long journey to DIY it all. You can get some good deals on used speakers if you shop around.

For DIY, perhaps decent sounding multiways are only feasible if done actively with the very easy to use miniDSP. Crossovers are tough to get right for DIY. So 3" to 5" widerangers with bass support are an easy "two" way for most DIY and also allows to bypass phase distortion by using a single driver from 400Hz to 20KHz.

High efficiency widerangers like fostex allow very high SPLs without pushing the amplifier too hard, thus sounding more dynamic and perhaps cleaner sound due to lower amplifier distortion.

bigun, I agree. Theater is usually louder. I guess it all depends on what you want. I'd rearrange weekly if not more, depending on if I was in a voice mood or a bass mood.

I'm not sure what I'd recommend for the original poster.
But I do recommend the exact same speaker for all 5 speakers.

Norman

Ok guys, thanks fo all of this, it's being more and more clear to me.
so for sure:
- use the same speaker for the 5 speakers
- add a sub (certainly a sealed Rythmik Audio 15" subwoofer)
- multiway will be too complicated at start, i focus on single speaker.

I contacted a French compagny for the Beyma 5CX200NDNE they are available 181€ each (transport included), this is still expensive for my project, even if the price seems very good compared to other sellers.
then remains the Fostex (FF or Sigma) & Mark Audio (CHR 70 or Alpair 12) although quite difficult to find a reseller in France (do guys knows one?).

One other question is for the speakers build: sealed or vented? or a mix between the Fronts, Rears & Center? (it depends mainly on the speaker i would choose i suppose :) )

Last edited:
use the same speaker for the 5 speakers

multiway will be too complicated at start, i focus on single speaker.

then remains the Fostex (FF or Sigma) & Mark Audio (CHR 70 or Alpair 12)

One other question is for the speakers build: sealed or vented? or a mix between the Fronts, Rears & Center?

lautsprechershop sell pairs of CHR 70s for 70 euros and spectrum audio singles at 35 euros

for the rears u cd use these
Fountek - FOUNTEK FE85 Haut parleur large bande 7cm

FE85? These are too small. I have a number of these: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/175056-martello-enclosure-fr88ex.html

Whilst they sound great, they do run out of steam if your room is fairly large. Small rooms might be OK.

I'd suggest you consider something like an MLTL. My experience with these was that they would perform much better for home theatre: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/220047-martello-2-mini-tower-single-2-x-4-a.html

Whilst having all 5 speakers the same is desirable, I would expect that the more critical requirement is that the front 3 are the same and the surrounds less so. But I do find a benefit in having them all bass-capable. Small surrounds are a mistake unless you re space-limited.

I don't think its necessary to have two units, only if using a central tweet imo. in your case keep it simple and 'point source'. The centre channel is mainly for dialogue

if you want to keep the speakers quite slim and flat you cd go for a look like this.
The CHR 70 is 56mm deep. Bevel the rear of the cab to give the appearance of the speaker floating off the wall and hide the driver behind cloth http://admintell.napco.com/ee/images/uploads/hometch/KEF_T_Series.jpg

Last edited:
well...........

With an under/over full range drivers, you get more clarity and dynamics, but your head is in a vise. It still held up as a point source, not the weird mtm dispersion sounding like music is coming at you from down a tunnel. been there, done that. I'm still on the fence about recommending it. My wife thought it was better. I'd get angry when standing up or walking around the room because the music had no high end.

People love their alpairs. I was looking at the audio nirvana, but they may be pricy by the time they get over there. And the qts .2 on the super 6 means no bass......

Norman

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.