Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2013, 12:35 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

if you have the space then I'd take all 5 the same, otherwise like you suggest in option 3 at least the 3 in front of you the same.
With the wide dispersion of the 5" they should be very usable as surround speakers.
Old 30th April 2013, 01:41 AM   #52
Malco is offline Malco  Guatemala
diyAudio Member

If I were in you position I would build floor standers so that you dont have to worry about stands or fixing to the wall etc.
These might look quite nice in your room. They will give you some flexability in your crossover point and could be used for hifi if you change your mind. They use the CHR70.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1963 copy.jpg (150.3 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg White copy.jpg (299.0 KB, 200 views)
Old 30th April 2013, 03:37 AM   #53
Malco is offline Malco  Guatemala
diyAudio Member

The benefit of going with the CHR70s is that there is a lot of information available on line regarding the pros and cons. If you go for the Beymas, I would be very interested to hear your feedback but it seems a little risky given that they are quite expensive and there seems to be little feedback online of how they sound. I don't believe that you can assume they will sound good based on the brand.
Old 30th April 2013, 09:26 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Hi Malco, good point regarding the beyma speakers !
regarding the floor standing speakers i cannot build them as they will not fit in my living room, see post #9 at the first page for a picture of my living room, only bookshelves can be used.
Old 30th April 2013, 10:29 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Jayce, looking at the FR response as provided by the manufacturer, my conclusion is that the Beyma's are not really that great. It's at least +/- 5dB from straight. With some very skilled xover design, you might get them a bit better, but it would still be far worse than you can accomplish with an FR88EX or Aurasound NS3 with a small tweeter, at much lower cost.

There seems to be an FR issue with coaxial drivers that no manufacturer has ever been able to overcome. Even the older Tannoys, although they fare better than most coaxials, are still fairly mediocre in this respect.
Old 30th April 2013, 12:21 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
Jayce, looking at the FR response as provided by the manufacturer, my conclusion is that the Beyma's are not really that great. It's at least +/- 5dB from straight. With some very skilled xover design, you might get them a bit better, but it would still be far worse than you can accomplish with an FR88EX or Aurasound NS3 with a small tweeter, at much lower cost.

There seems to be an FR issue with coaxial drivers that no manufacturer has ever been able to overcome. Even the older Tannoys, although they fare better than most coaxials, are still fairly mediocre in this respect.
If the OP has a modern AV amp with auto eq then an imperfect FR response is less crucial.
I recommended the Beymas since they will be able to handle the slam of a movie, will have reasonably low distortion (which in my opinion is more important than ruler flat behaviour), and have good dispersion in the treble, which is nice if you watch movies with friends next to you, it is not fun to miss a good part of the treble under an angle as is the case with most FR units.
Old 1st May 2013, 08:50 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Very similar to the NS3 is the Dayton nd91, a 3.5 inch with 25mm of travel(!) but it has a more extended treble response up to 17khz. The lower qts means the enclosure vol is smaller too
Old 1st May 2013, 03:50 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Default 3.5 inch driver with 25mm travel...!

Billpoter,

IMO any 3.5 inch bass mid (or full range) driver that is being driven to
" 25mm travel" will (a) be unlistenable & (b) will self destruct very quickly.
Any manufacturer / individual using this " feature" as a selling point is either deceiving himself, his customers or both.

I would love to see a video ( with verified SPL and distortion measurements) of the driver doing its " deep as wide" thing, maybe someone has a link?

If the OP is aiming for typical THX levels ( available from 700 to 800 AV amps ) in his / her home cinema, the Beyma's are capable ofmeeting that with ease.... The little 3.5 inch driver's are not. Its not rocket science.

Cheers
Derek.
Old 1st May 2013, 04:23 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Derek, I thought exactly along these lines when recommending the Beymas.
I'm not convinced about small FR drivers for decent home cinema at sound volumes higher than just talking volume.
If you play a classic like Terminator 2 it should sound believable.
Old 1st May 2013, 04:41 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

There is nothing wrong with using a 3-4" driver in an HT. I do it all the time. But....

You need to cross to the sub at 150-200Hz. The problem will not be with the wide-range driver, it will be with the sub. There are not that many subs out there that will to 20-200Hz gracefully.

Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!