Full range speakers for Homecinema purpose - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2013, 12:31 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Update: I just find a website http://www.lautsprechershop.de/ selling the Alpair to France, but their prices are extremely high, i.e.: for an Alpair 12: 229€ ...
Old 22nd April 2013, 07:00 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

That is expensive.......For Alpair you might want to try:

Breitbandlautsprecher und mehr - SpectrumAudio

Looks like they might carry some. Looks like they might have Fostex as well.

Also have a look at the CSS sound website "http://www.creativesound.ca/". CSS sells Markaudio drivers and has distributors around the world. A list of distributors can be found on the front page.
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:45 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayce996 View Post
use the same speaker for the 5 speakers

multiway will be too complicated at start, i focus on single speaker.

then remains the Fostex (FF or Sigma) & Mark Audio (CHR 70 or Alpair 12)

One other question is for the speakers build: sealed or vented? or a mix between the Fronts, Rears & Center?

lautsprechershop sell pairs of CHR 70s for 70 euros and spectrum audio singles at 35 euros

for the rears u cd use these
Fountek - FOUNTEK FE85 Haut parleur large bande 7cm
Old 23rd April 2013, 01:06 AM   #34
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

FE85? These are too small. I have a number of these: MARTELLO enclosure for FR88EX

Whilst they sound great, they do run out of steam if your room is fairly large. Small rooms might be OK.

I'd suggest you consider something like an MLTL. My experience with these was that they would perform much better for home theatre: MARTELLO-2, a mini-tower from a single 2' x 4'

Whilst having all 5 speakers the same is desirable, I would expect that the more critical requirement is that the front 3 are the same and the surrounds less so. But I do find a benefit in having them all bass-capable. Small surrounds are a mistake unless you re space-limited.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 23rd April 2013, 03:33 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

to me, music surround sound modes sounded like a tin can, until I had the same speaker in front and back, then it was spacious. Surround immerses you in the setting. All 5 should match, but if you want a worse sound, then go for it.

Norman
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:21 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

No need for fancy enclosures when a sealed will work v well for cinema use; this also means a smaller enclosure which is simple to build-The CHR 70s will work fine in as small as 4 litres with lots of stuffing

maybe go for a look like this http://www.quantumav.co.uk/speakers/...FfQetAodf1AApg

Last edited by Bill poster; 23rd April 2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:46 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Yes i've seen these KEF speakers, they look good for sure ... exept the price ;-)

I can try to make something similar with the CHR-70.

Last edited by jayce996; 23rd April 2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 23rd April 2013, 06:00 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

i've seen some build with the CHR-70 where there was 2 speakers for the Front or the Center channels.
what is the added value to have twice this speaker? (Alpair 10 Centre Speaker)
Old 23rd April 2013, 06:12 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

I don't think its necessary to have two units, only if using a central tweet imo. in your case keep it simple and 'point source'. The centre channel is mainly for dialogue

if you want to keep the speakers quite slim and flat you cd go for a look like this.
The CHR 70 is 56mm deep. Bevel the rear of the cab to give the appearance of the speaker floating off the wall and hide the driver behind cloth http://admintell.napco.com/ee/images...F_T_Series.jpg

Last edited by Bill poster; 23rd April 2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 23rd April 2013, 06:47 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

well...........

With an under/over full range drivers, you get more clarity and dynamics, but your head is in a vise. It still held up as a point source, not the weird mtm dispersion sounding like music is coming at you from down a tunnel. been there, done that. I'm still on the fence about recommending it. My wife thought it was better. I'd get angry when standing up or walking around the room because the music had no high end.

People love their alpairs. I was looking at the audio nirvana, but they may be pricy by the time they get over there. And the qts .2 on the super 6 means no bass......

Norman

Last edited by norman bates; 23rd April 2013 at 07:05 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!