Full range speakers for Homecinema purpose - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2013, 07:10 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayce996 View Post
so remains:
-Mark Audio drivers (cheap but may be fragile)
-Ciare HX drivers (afordable)
-BMR or flatcones (but didn't find anything on that, do you have a link with prices?)
flatcones, I think he's referring to the TB 3 or 4"; they are not cheap imo and need a little filtering

Seeing as these wd be used above 100hz the CHR 70 shd be fine, and inexpensive to replace if u had a mishap.
w shipping costs it cd be best to buy all drivers from the same source
Old 19th April 2013, 08:34 PM   #22
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
98db Chris! That's only 7db off of reference. Granted, 7db isn't easy to achieve, but that's still very impressive for Alpair7s. I assume that was a scene where all channels were driven? So the cumulative effect of all channels makes that a little less impressive. Pretty good though really. Amazing what crossing to subwoofers can do eh.
on peaks, and yes, precisely
Old 20th April 2013, 02:47 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Tang Band flatcones are not cheap rather pretty pricey and need midbass helper, but this BMR could do it with help of subwoofer
HiWave Balanced-Mode Radiator BMR65-8
or better
Imaging with BMR Drivers

Last edited by DYNABLASTERTUNERS; 20th April 2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 21st April 2013, 03:35 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex ??

For greater SPL and perceived vocal clarity necessary for home theater satellites, crossed over to a sub below 100Hz, you could consider the Fostex 5 inchers either 105WK or 125WK, sealed in small cubes. The FF series would be even more louder albeit needing bigger cabinets. If you cross over to a subwoofer, greater x-max is not necessary.

A more expensive option with better dispersion and tonal balance is the fostex 108sigma, in a small sealed cube, on a front baffle no wider than the driver frame diameter enabling great imaging.
Old 21st April 2013, 04:44 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

To the OP,

Not sure if this is out of price range or not but I'd/am thinking about the Alpair 12P for HT and music. For voices mine sound great. The higher sensitivity will go a long way towards the higher SPL some require for movies. Also, a slight high frequency roll off is (nice in my opinion) for movies as I find most films are mixed bright which doesn't sound natural. I believe that is why the THX modes roll off the highs?

I'm almost finished breaking in a pair and the Alpair 12P model at higher SPL than some of the other mentioned drivers. Also, crossing over to the sub seems ideal for them in a monitor type application. They will not leave you wanting for music applications either.

Pensil for mains and monitors for surrounds and centre? Other have posted Fostex which have higher sensitivity. I'd look towards higher efficiency drivers (+90dB) which don't require a lot of filtering.

Good luck!

Last edited by mikealanlee; 21st April 2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 21st April 2013, 08:06 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Throw a tapped horn in the corner of your room for better bass.
Old 22nd April 2013, 02:19 AM   #27
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I went though a similar exercise over the past few years.

First, I reasoned that a set of full range DIY speakers was the way to go. I built a set. I found the experience very valuable but they were lacking for home theatre. For hi-fi not bad but I really use my multi-channel set up for theatre the most. I want a 'big' sound for theatre.

Now I have floor standing speakers that are 2-way and 3-way. They do take up a bit of space but the sound is much better. They are all designated as 'large' when setting up the amplifier/receiver system so they can all play full bass and with some power and depth. I still use a sub woofer which is supposed to be mostly for low frequency 'special effects channel'.

If I had to start over I'd still go with large multi-way speakers - I'd buy them rather than make them. For large multi-way with cross-overs it's a long journey to DIY it all. You can get some good deals on used speakers if you shop around.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 22nd April 2013, 03:51 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
I went though a similar exercise over the past few years.

For large multi-way with cross-overs it's a long journey to DIY it all. You can get some good deals on used speakers if you shop around.
For DIY, perhaps decent sounding multiways are only feasible if done actively with the very easy to use miniDSP. Crossovers are tough to get right for DIY. So 3" to 5" widerangers with bass support are an easy "two" way for most DIY and also allows to bypass phase distortion by using a single driver from 400Hz to 20KHz.

High efficiency widerangers like fostex allow very high SPLs without pushing the amplifier too hard, thus sounding more dynamic and perhaps cleaner sound due to lower amplifier distortion.
Old 22nd April 2013, 07:03 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

bigun, I agree. Theater is usually louder. I guess it all depends on what you want. I'd rearrange weekly if not more, depending on if I was in a voice mood or a bass mood.

I'm not sure what I'd recommend for the original poster.
But I do recommend the exact same speaker for all 5 speakers.

Norman
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:53 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Ok guys, thanks fo all of this, it's being more and more clear to me.
so for sure:
- use the same speaker for the 5 speakers
- add a sub (certainly a sealed Rythmik Audio 15" subwoofer)
- multiway will be too complicated at start, i focus on single speaker.

I contacted a French compagny for the Beyma 5CX200NDNE they are available 181€ each (transport included), this is still expensive for my project, even if the price seems very good compared to other sellers.
then remains the Fostex (FF or Sigma) & Mark Audio (CHR 70 or Alpair 12) although quite difficult to find a reseller in France (do guys knows one?).

One other question is for the speakers build: sealed or vented? or a mix between the Fronts, Rears & Center? (it depends mainly on the speaker i would choose i suppose :-) )

Last edited by jayce996; 22nd April 2013 at 11:02 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!