Full range speakers for Homecinema purpose - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2013, 07:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

What do you mean with "f3 of arround 80hz"
Old 18th April 2013, 08:09 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

He means the bass rolls off right around 80hz. Fairly universal goal for home theatre.
Old 19th April 2013, 05:03 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

The Ciare HX series fullrange units have, from what I read, better off-axis performance than most FR drivers. Meaning they would be more pleasant if you have multiple people watching the movie.
Old 19th April 2013, 05:21 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I would also seriously consider a good pro level coaxial driver for this application.
This Beyma (an excellent brand) will work well in small enclosures (when combined with your sub for everything below 100 hz or so), it will be PLENTY loud enough for movies (and can take a beating unlike amny frail FR units) yet still musical:

http://profesional.beyma.com/pdf/5CX200NDNE.pdf (this one has excellent off-axis performance !)
http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/6CX200NDN.pdf
http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/8CX300NDN.pdf

And use the same speaker for all channels, no headaches of differing tonality then.
Old 19th April 2013, 08:35 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

For Home Cinema the best are flatcones or BMR
Old 19th April 2013, 11:04 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
The Ciare HX series fullrange units have, from what I read, better off-axis performance than most FR drivers
Link/prices?
Old 19th April 2013, 04:11 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
Link/prices?
for example: http://www.spectrumaudio.de/breit/tabelle.htm
Old 19th April 2013, 04:44 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

the Beyma seem good but the price is above my budget, i should avoid them :-(
so remains:
-Mark Audio drivers (cheap but may be fragile)
-Ciare HX drivers (afordable)
-BMR or flatcones (but didn't find anything on that, do you have a link with prices?)

i read also yesteday on another forum, that one of the disadvantage of the FR speakers are the low and high frequencies. the medium is wonderful but there is a lack in the bass and the tweeter does not seem sufficient.

do you have the same feeling?
i would really like listen my music without the HC Subwoofer, just with my 2 front speakers
Old 19th April 2013, 05:51 PM   #19
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayce996 View Post
the Beyma seem good but the price is above my budget, i should avoid them :-(
so remains:
-Mark Audio drivers (cheap but may be fragile)
-Ciare HX drivers (afordable)
-BMR or flatcones (but didn't find anything on that, do you have a link with prices?)

i read also yesteday on another forum, that one of the disadvantage of the FR speakers are the low and high frequencies. the medium is wonderful but there is a lack in the bass and the tweeter does not seem sufficient.

do you have the same feeling?
i would really like listen my music without the HC Subwoofer, just with my 2 front speakers

Since this thread is titled "for Homecinema purposes", it's probably assumed that multichannel signal processing of some sort will be involved that would include full bass management and the flexibility to tailor XO frequencies for all channels and the use of separate (sub) woofer(s). Unless using very small "full-range" drivers incapable of performance into the circa 100 Hz range where XO is often dialed in, I'd opine that "lack of bass" is not an issue.
In other words, "HC" without subwoofer is, I think, an oxymoron.

Regarding "insufficient HF performance", if I was in an argumentative mood, I'd pursue that even more strenuously .

To expand on my first post, requirements / constraints for every system are different. In small to moderate sized rooms, and at listening levels 10-15dB below the insane "reference" levels that I've heard in showrooms and theatres, FR drivers can work very well for this application indeed. My own (5.1) system, certainly modest by some standards, is in 320ft^2 (29M^2) room, and uses Alpair7s in the front row, with A6Ms as rear surrounds, 2 dual driver corner mounted woofers, with XOs at 110 &120Hz. The maximum SPL that I've measured at listening position of 10ft from front row was 98dB, but generally things are well under 90. I don't want or need more - but of course YMMV.

Last edited by chrisb; 19th April 2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 19th April 2013, 06:05 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

98db Chris! That's only 7db off of reference. Granted, 7db isn't easy to achieve, but that's still very impressive for Alpair7s. I assume that was a scene where all channels were driven? So the cumulative effect of all channels makes that a little less impressive. Pretty good though really. Amazing what crossing to subwoofers can do eh.

Hide this!Advertise here!