Wall socketed 2 watt speaker survives undamaged?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Surprisingly this crappy 8 ohm 2 watt max television speaker has survived being destroyed by the wall socket and still sounds very clear with no audible distortion artifacts in the audio stream
A recording of the speaker with my microphone reveals there really is no audible distortion when played back on my headphones
Is this one of the first very low wattage speakers to survive such a horrendous encounter with the wall socket?
Take note I only had it plugged in for far less than a half a second.
It didn't even have a smell afterwards. still smelt like new!
Has anyone ever experienced a speaker like this that can handle that much power without blowing out of its spider?

Surprisingly this crappy 8 ohm 2 watt max television speaker has survived being destroyed by the wall socket and still sounds very clear with no audible distortion artifacts in the audio stream
A recording of the speaker with my microphone reveals there really is no audible distortion when played back on my headphones
Is this one of the first very low wattage speakers to survive such a horrendous encounter with the wall socket?
Take note I only had it plugged in for far less than a half a second.
It didn't even have a smell afterwards. still smelt like new!
Has anyone ever experienced a speaker like this that can handle that much power without blowing out of its spider?

I don't believe you.:smash:

120x120/8=1800W RMS
Even considering thermal inertia , which is pityfully small considering the hair thin wire, 1/2 second is more than enough to vaporize it.

Or to see it from another point of view: 120V/8r=15A
That VC wire can stand, what? ... 0.5A?
You claim to having passed 30X the nominal current and survived? :Pinoc:

FWIW, the wire fusing calculation is proportional to the time and the current **squared** (as in: I^2xT) so you subjected it to 30^2=900X the expected current.

FYI, a fuse wire subject to much less overload than that , beyond simple melting, splatters the inside of the glass tube with a metallic "mirror" made from *vaporized* metal.
Just sayin'

As I said already The speaker is only rated for 2 watts max with an 8 ohm impedance.
I have an audio recording after I plugged the speaker into the wall socket. There is no distortion audible in the audio recording of a 45hz test tone and a 85hz test tone played back through the speaker. Music recording sounds very clear as well with decent bass and no muddy mid frequencies or distortion.

The speaker was plugged in for Far Less than half a second. As fast as i could humanly possible plug it in and unplug it I'm guessing its 0.09th of a second Or Less.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.