How good are the cheap fullrange drivers? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2013, 10:07 PM   #21
erkki1 is offline erkki1  Finland
diyAudio Member

Yes, the separate tweeter might give broader listening space, if properly choosen. But that wider directivity has also some penalties, concerning the effects of room acoustics. It depends much of your own taste, do you want to listen always sitting on same armchair, or on different places on your corner sofa?
As you seem to be a Finn, the following link tells some basic info of loudspeaker properties in different room sizes:
Kaiuttimen ja kuuntelutilan koko
Other forum people are unfortunately forced to use google translation, sorry.
In short, it basically tells that in big room&long listening distance you would need higher directivity speakers than in small room and speakers in near field.
Old 13th April 2013, 09:24 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkki1 View Post
Yes, the separate tweeter might give broader listening space, if properly choosen. But that wider directivity has also some penalties, concerning the effects of room acoustics. It depends much of your own taste, do you want to listen always sitting on same armchair, or on different places on your corner sofa?
As you seem to be a Finn, the following link tells some basic info of loudspeaker properties in different room sizes:
Kaiuttimen ja kuuntelutilan koko
Other forum people are unfortunately forced to use google translation, sorry.
In short, it basically tells that in big room&long listening distance you would need higher directivity speakers than in small room and speakers in near field.
Yeah, I know some basics about room acoustics, such as it's important to treat (at least) first reflections from the walls, that most interfere with stereo imaging..

Bass also creates lots of problems which is why i'm going to try the dipole subwoofer approach.

I just found the new minidsp product, the minidigi 2x8, if I understand it correctly, I could use it as a three-way crossover, so I could "actively" crossover the tweeter and woofers, using two lepai amps.

What do you think will I get better results from that setup compared to typical 100-150 multimedia speakers?
Old 13th April 2013, 10:04 AM   #23
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It better sound as good as a 100-150€ set. That minidsp alone would go towards that price. Why go 3 way in a near field setup where you are sitting up close and in a stationary position?
If you pay attention to the replies you'll notice that most here are talking about something else than a desktop application.
Do you really want to build a 3 way setup to compete with these cheap multimedia solutions?
Old 13th April 2013, 03:42 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesayso View Post
It better sound as good as a 100-150€ set. That minidsp alone would go towards that price. Why go 3 way in a near field setup where you are sitting up close and in a stationary position?
If you pay attention to the replies you'll notice that most here are talking about something else than a desktop application.
Do you really want to build a 3 way setup to compete with these cheap multimedia solutions?
Hi, so it would be 3 way because it has dipole bass (2x 12" woofers).

But i've now scrapped the idea of that tweeter! It will get too expensive.

I still need to buy the normal 2x4 minidsp, because I need crossover+equalizer for the dipole basses, this is not included in the cost of the satellites..

So I need to make a smallish nearfield speaker with those dipole basses.. More clear now?
Old 13th April 2013, 06:00 PM   #25
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

If randomlf = hedphones it is more clear now .
It is easy to get carried away from the original goal, next thing you know you're building something else. Hence my post to bring it back into perspective.
Old 13th April 2013, 07:16 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

My favorite drivers are follow:
1) SPH64x from Monacor - go to
SPH-64X/AD
2) Fostex FE Series - go to
Full Range : FE Series | Speaker Components| Fostex
3) FANE Studio 5M (vintAGE VERSION) - datasheet anywhere here on diyaudio posted
Two versions of Fane's Full Range Model "Studio 5M" - 100 db and 92,5 db ??

ALL THIS TRANSDUCERS ARE VERY OLD BUT STILL IN CURRENTLY PRODUCTION: THERE ARE A WIDE RANGE OF NEW DEVICES IN THIS KIND FROM TANGBAND E. G., SO AS ADDITIONAL FROM CHINA MAINLY AN EXTREMLY WIDE RANGE; BUT I RECOMMEND ONLY THE OLD ONES, as long STILL CURRENTLY AVAILABLE on the marked.
Old 14th April 2013, 05:27 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default Aura NS3

The Aurasound NS3 at about 25$ a pair, has a very balanced sound, abd can work well even in as small as a sealed 4" cube with a small series resistor to increace the Qtc.
Old 14th April 2013, 06:26 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundaatma View Post
The Aurasound NS3 at about 25$ a pair, has a very balanced sound, abd can work well even in as small as a sealed 4" cube with a small series resistor to increace the Qtc.
How small of R?

Qts is .67 now for the 8ohm version. How much does it increase?

What is the sonic result?

Any FR graphs?
Old 14th April 2013, 08:45 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I'm going to go with the FR88's for now. They should work fine in ~1 liter enclosure, considering I only need output down to about 150hz.

tiefbassuebertr, most of those drivers were a bit too big, though the Monacors looked really interesting.

Also the NS3's are not available from the shop where i'm going to order (i'm in EU btw)

Thanks for all the help
Old 15th April 2013, 02:56 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

The value of the resistor will depend on the volume of your box size to first get the Qts. The addition of a resistor further increases the Qes, thus increasing the final Qts further....needed to provide a subjectively increased bass at the cost of LF extension that a small driver does not like.
If you are willing to spend 12-20$ more for a 500-1000 series cap, look at thread on partsexpress by Wolf. Jeff Bagby software is great to simulate all such series components mentioned above.

Hide this!Advertise here!