JXR 6 HD in open or very small enclosure - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2013, 04:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default JXR 6 HD in open or very small enclosure

hi,
I am new on this forum, I've duilt many enclosures ( bad or better for 35 years), but just now i'll like to try something new . those would be used as outside speaker on my sailing boat.
I need them to be real small and simple, so I was thinking of a Jordan JXR 6 HD or Markaudio Alpair 7 Generation 3, in an open baffle hoping to get about down 100 hz response...i have only my ears to control and may some of you could tell about similar experiences
Old 8th April 2013, 06:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

not sure its possible to reach 100hz open baffle with either of these; try winisd, treat like an IB and see what the curve does
Old 8th April 2013, 06:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

for a closed enclosure 1.4 l I get about 95 hz (-3db) with a theorical curve , do you think it is beter than with an open one
Old 8th April 2013, 07:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

yes. I would use the 1.4 liter box, you wont do better without a HUGE baffle.
Old 8th April 2013, 07:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

with winisd theorical curve show for a closed 1.4l about 120/85Hz (-3/-8 db)...does anyone tried that ?

Last edited by motutunga; 8th April 2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 8th April 2013, 07:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

i am very happy to have find this forum... and I'll try a closed 1.4l and an IB witch is supposed to give 100/75hz (-3/-8db)

Last edited by motutunga; 8th April 2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 8th April 2013, 08:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

oh. Do you mean IB or OB? If Qts is high Infinite Baffle may give you a bit more. Otherwisd id stick with a small sealed box. IB may work better if you are trying to hide the speakers too.
Old 8th April 2013, 11:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

What I meant by IB was if you input a huge figure in winisd ie 300 litres you'll get a rough idea of an open baffle response for these drivers.
Also, if you plan to use a 1st order passive and cross low near the resonant frequency of the driver, u will run into problems with the impedance and it won't roll off where u want it to
Old 9th April 2013, 07:56 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

yes i understand that ( about how to figure an IB); about impedance I use no cross over, just nothing.
the reason is : this item will be outside at sea and will be spoiled in one or two years ( depends on the wheather) so I need to make it cheap and easy maintenance if possible.
As far as i know , no sailor wants to have real sound nor inside nor outside , I need to create the idea.
Old 9th April 2013, 08:04 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

yesterday evening I thought of a very little bass unit (about 1.5l + 1.5l) designed as a pass band enclosure using this driver :Aura NS-193-8A , and hope to get down to 60-70 hz, but all that with a very low 84 db..
I spent only 12 hours on your forum and that gave me full of ideas

Hide this!Advertise here!