Reposition the Aveburys + Bottlehead 2A3 = Wow ! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2013, 04:04 AM   #1
bqc is offline bqc  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Reposition the Aveburys + Bottlehead 2A3 = Wow !

So I have been positioning the Aveburys as shown and playing through a DIY F2J clone and the sound was nice, clean and sweet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121209_135821.jpg (46.4 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg 20121209_135836.jpg (59.2 KB, 180 views)
Old 4th April 2013, 04:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Then I built a bottlehead 2A3 SET and the sound is much sweeter, much more 3D. Then one day I decided to reposition the Aveburys so they are toed in, move them back toward the corners, and the backs face the corners and got rid of the file cabinets that were in the corners, it was just an experiment, I was anticipating that stereo imaging will suffer because of being closer to wall boundaries, but wow what a surprise, stereo imaging became much sharper, pin point accuracy. It feels like you can reach out and touch the vocalist. Sound almost like the sound I used to get from a pair of home made 150hz square front horn loaded with FE206E as far as the pin point accuracy goes. The tonality of the A12P and FE206E are no way near the same
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130318_181021.jpg (42.8 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 20130318_181000.jpg (42.3 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by bqc; 4th April 2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 4th April 2013, 04:23 AM   #3
TiMBoZ is offline TiMBoZ  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hey! nice rig..good to see some pics of the Avebury. Even if the pics are upside down.
Old 4th April 2013, 04:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMBoZ View Post
Hey! nice rig..good to see some pics of the Avebury. Even if the pics are upside down.
pictures are right side up on my PC, once I use the "Manage Attachment" and select the picture it shows side way or upside down, nothing I can do. I even tried to rotate my pictures file on disk to compensate for the anticipated rotation done by the bulletin board software and it still manages to rotate it the wrong way so I gave up
Old 4th April 2013, 04:43 AM   #5
TiMBoZ is offline TiMBoZ  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
upside down, nothing I can do
No matter, it's worth rotating my head to see them. Looking at them makes me wanna put on an animal skin and a helmet with horns.....uuGHH!

Wish I could hear them...I bet they sound HUGE!.. do they sound HUGE?

Good on you for building them

Last edited by TiMBoZ; 4th April 2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 4th April 2013, 04:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMBoZ View Post
No matter, it's worth rotating my head to see them. Looking at them makes me wanna put on an animal skin and a helmet with horns.....uuGHH!

Wish I could hear them...I bet they sound HUGE!.. do they sound HUGE?
They do sound huge, but the Sakikos I used to have I think sounded bigger. But positioning the Aveburys facing the corners do expand the soundstage to the point they rival the Sachikos. The Avebury's bass beat the Sachikos hand down. It was the addition of the 2A3 and repositioning that when the magic happened and ever since I look forward every night to go home and listen to some musics. I had a buddy over who has good ears and younger ears, but who is new in all this DIY HiFi stuff and I gave him a blind A/B test between the F2J and the 2A3 to see which amp he prefers, and after the test, he picked the tube amp with no hesitation. He said with the tube he was able to hear more details. In one song, he said he could hear the backup singers in the background that he could not hear with the F2J.
Old 4th April 2013, 12:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Nice.
Old 5th April 2013, 01:50 AM   #8
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

I love the bottlehead 2A3's...the paramours seem to make everything sound lovely through full range drivers....well done!
Old 5th April 2013, 03:10 AM   #9
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

I love the bottlehead 2A3's...the paramours seem to make everything sound lovely through full range drivers....well done!
Old 5th April 2013, 06:07 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Bqc, Dave D., Scottmoose

I have the FE206en's and I am so confused as to which cabinet to build. I like the Aveburys, I was think Dallas II's or maybe Kirishima's (new Sachiko). Any commets you have will be welcome. I am using Decware Zen amp with Metronomes (FE 126en) and the sound is quite holographic. I'm hoping for the same but more bass and larger sound stage. BIB's are not a problem in the WAF dept.

Help

Hide this!Advertise here!