Tang Band W3-881SI Box Design Thread - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2013, 06:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tang Band W3-881SI Box Design Thread

I have been trying to come up with some clever WAF speakers (she hate anything that looks like a speaker) using the Closeout Tang Band W3-881SI. After lurking around for ideas I have noticed the popularity of these particular speakers is increasing due to favorable results different people are getting with a $9 speaker. I know they are not an a perfect speaker but for the DIY crowd on budget it is a good option. I have 12 of them I am not sure what do with them yet. I did build a test speaker enclosure using plastic Folgers coffee cans Not a WAF speaker I did it just to test them out) and they sound pretty good I will upload some pics as soon I find a way to do it.

Anyways thought is would be a good Idea to have a thread where everyone could consolidate there Ideas, designs as well as results for the Tang Band W3-881SI. I hope this is the correct place for this thread since most are using this speaker in a full range application. I did find a boutique speaker manufacture that has a speaker for sale that looks like they are using the same driver in the link below...

http://www.wellroundedsound.com/376097/yorkie/
http://www.wellroundedsound.com/455851/yorkie-se/
Old 2nd April 2013, 07:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yorkie $249.00 per pair !!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF?
Old 2nd April 2013, 07:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

OK, I got that out of my system.

Here's a link to what I did with the W3-881SI: "nanoTower" - Tang Band W3-881SI
Old 2nd April 2013, 08:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ya that was my reaction when I saw it, but it is marketed more for it's modern look than anything else... I like the way they look but the wife did not appreciate them. Bummer since it would be easy to build something similar. cogitech I like what you did with the Nano's do you have any pics during the build process?

Do you have a recomendation of a free site to host pictures so I can post my expeiriment with the coffee cans? I did make a video but it was rejected on YouTube since I did not have permission to use the song I used. Any tips using music in a YouTube video?
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I just found the thread on the spiral horn I wonder if this speaker would work in this type of enslosure?
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Sounds like you & the missus need to go to a local Arts & Crafts "Fair".........When she asks why, tell her your going to find a suitable "Artsy" enclosure for your project.........just about anything can be used that is hollow...some silly ceramics will do just fine. You will have to estimate internal volume of what you find & meets with her "approval".
The seemingly standard " Dolphin pair" would work. Calculate the optimal volume & see what you can find.

__________________________________________________ ____Rick........
Old 3rd April 2013, 02:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Rich I know what you mean, she loves music but in here mind she is content to rock out listening to Pandora on here Iphone as she walks around the house. (and to me it is like nails on a chalk board) I know I could keep it simple and just install some in ceiling speakers and she would be happy with that... but where is the fun in that?
Old 3rd April 2013, 04:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yepvegas View Post
Ya that was my reaction when I saw it, but it is marketed more for it's modern look than anything else... I like the way they look but the wife did not appreciate them. Bummer since it would be easy to build something similar. cogitech I like what you did with the Nano's do you have any pics during the build process?
Unfortunately, no, I didn't take pics. It is a dead-simple build though. Build a box of the stated dimensions, place the driver on the front as close to the top as is practical and the port (of stated dimensions) on the back (or front, I guess) at/near the bottom of the box, and then (very important) line the entire inside with 2" fiber-glass (and possibly add some polyfil and adjust to taste). The biggest thing to remember with the build is that it takes considerable lining/stuffing to tune it right.

Quote:
Do you have a recomendation of a free site to host pictures so I can post my expeiriment with the coffee cans? I did make a video but it was rejected on YouTube since I did not have permission to use the song I used. Any tips using music in a YouTube video?
I have my own server, so I cannot recommend a free service. I know they are out there, but I have never used them. WRT youtube, I just uploaded the videos and then youtube notified me of copyright issue, but they left the video up. Have no idea how that all works.
Old 3rd April 2013, 04:45 PM   #9
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

You can also upload photos to the photo album server on diyaudio. It may require upgraded membership to do that. I just attach photos using the "Manage Attachments" feature under "Advanced" reply to posts. Make sure you scale them down to 1200 pix or less otherwise they are too big to be viewed on a reasonable monitor.

The W3-881si has been used with success on the Cornu spiral. I forgot who did it but do recall someone did and liked the sound. I think it was 20 in x 3.5 in deep.

Another option if you are looking for WAF friendly enclosures include:
Flat folded MLTL (in stereo) Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?
Flat BIB (FIB) Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?
These work well because wall hanging speakers don't take floorspace and don't look like speakers. You can also decorate them. This has worked as high-WAF designs around my house.
Old 3rd April 2013, 05:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the links I am reading through the Foam Thread right now currently on page 49 I imagine I could build something in the time it will take me the read it all the way through! the flat design could work I could mask it with some transparent cloth that has a pattern or image on it on it to mask the speaker.

Hide this!Advertise here!