Tang Band W3-881SI Box Design Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have good word there's lots of these left, unless that's changed in short time.

Also, 4L is better to reduce q for a smoother roll off. Excursion doesn't matter when you're crossing over to woofer support. Not to mentione the larger 4L can house more reflection damping material and reduce reflections via its size. If you don't have the space for the extra 2L then sure, we're splitting hairs.

You've compared the SI and SJ. ?

What kind of eq did you add to the top? My measurements didnt show much need for treble eq. There are "issues" in the top end, although mild, but they weren't eq'able. I suppose eq would have lessened the issue.

@yapvegas - yup they are gone! Amazing - PE had over 10,000 of these and they are all gone within a year...time to start another project...try the SJ instead...

@tuxedocivic - yes I compared SI, SJ and SJF, SJ sounds the best followed by the SJF and SI would be my last choice.

The EQ is set to reduce the midrange shout by - 1.5 dB and add a sparkle to the top with + 2 dB, also boosted the bottom end with + 1.5 dB - sort of a Loudness EQ if you will...on J Rivers or on Amarra or anything comparable with parametric EQ you can play as much as you wish a tweak most fullrangers to your liking without the expense of passive components, the price of admission is reasonable and if done well there is little or no side effects to this sound tweaking...but that is another topic...

I have a feeling I know where they all went, but could be wrong. Back door deals seem to be happening all over the place.

I'm surprised you needed to add sparkle. I found these to have a bit of a shreek way up high. Not really major, but there. I crossed to a woofer so didnt bother with the low end.

Hello,

I have been messing around with the W3-881si on a foam core open baffle crossed to the HiVi B4N in my Overnight Sensations and I have been really enjoying them. The XO is being done with a miniDSP and miniAMP and centred on 333hz. I chose that point out of thin air, no measurements have been taken. That XO might be a little low, I am going to tweak it more later.

Kyle

Attachments

• IMG_9493.JPG
    IMG_9493.JPG
    324.3 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_9494.JPG
    IMG_9494.JPG
    350.6 KB · Views: 219
Kyle,
Nice FC OB design! You can use wood pieces glued to back of FC to allow screws to hold your drivers in place rather than the tape. Are you disabling the done tweeters in the Overnight sensations? Otherwise the imaging from the 881si's will be off.

The dome tweet is not connected. I am sure this won't be the final configuration of all this. I am going to make a little sealed box for the W3s next to see what that sounds like. Working with the foam core was nice and easy.

Kyle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.