Tang Band W3-881SI Box Design Thread - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2013, 12:07 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

I have good word there's lots of these left, unless that's changed in short time.

Also, 4L is better to reduce q for a smoother roll off. Excursion doesn't matter when you're crossing over to woofer support. Not to mentione the larger 4L can house more reflection damping material and reduce reflections via its size. If you don't have the space for the extra 2L then sure, we're splitting hairs.

You've compared the SI and SJ. ?

What kind of eq did you add to the top? My measurements didnt show much need for treble eq. There are "issues" in the top end, although mild, but they weren't eq'able. I suppose eq would have lessened the issue.
Old 7th April 2013, 05:56 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

I just checked the PE website and these are listed as unavailable. Bummer I planned to pick up a few more pairs.
Old 7th April 2013, 02:12 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

@yapvegas - yup they are gone! Amazing - PE had over 10,000 of these and they are all gone within a year...time to start another project...try the SJ instead...

@tuxedocivic - yes I compared SI, SJ and SJF, SJ sounds the best followed by the SJF and SI would be my last choice.

The EQ is set to reduce the midrange shout by - 1.5 dB and add a sparkle to the top with + 2 dB, also boosted the bottom end with + 1.5 dB - sort of a Loudness EQ if you will...on J Rivers or on Amarra or anything comparable with parametric EQ you can play as much as you wish a tweak most fullrangers to your liking without the expense of passive components, the price of admission is reasonable and if done well there is little or no side effects to this sound tweaking...but that is another topic...
Old 7th April 2013, 03:58 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I have a feeling I know where they all went, but could be wrong. Back door deals seem to be happening all over the place.

I'm surprised you needed to add sparkle. I found these to have a bit of a shreek way up high. Not really major, but there. I crossed to a woofer so didnt bother with the low end.
Old 7th April 2013, 09:12 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Yup you are right - smart pants selling them on ebay for $20.00...oh well...

Tang Band W3 881SI 3" Woofer Midrange Mid Tweeter Speaker Full Range 8 Ohm | eBay

Yes the shriek is there to my ears it is around 9K - I am talking about a sparkle at around 16K - I cannot really hear much above 17.5K myself anymore...
Old 9th April 2013, 09:16 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

i cut the dustcaps off and fashioned* some phase plugs

this really cleaned up the top end

( *=found some "tuner" lug nuts that fit the hole)
Old 9th April 2013, 09:22 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWisely View Post

Oh really, that sounds promissing. Pictures please!

Kyle
Old 10th April 2013, 06:58 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWisely View Post

That would be great if you could post some pictures.
Old 20th April 2013, 11:03 PM   #29
ryani is offline ryani  United States
diyAudio Member

Just built this enclosure with 4 of these little guys. It sounds very good.

Tangband W3-881 MLTL build
Old 28th April 2013, 08:21 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I have been messing around with the W3-881si on a foam core open baffle crossed to the HiVi B4N in my Overnight Sensations and I have been really enjoying them. The XO is being done with a miniDSP and miniAMP and centred on 333hz. I chose that point out of thin air, no measurements have been taken. That XO might be a little low, I am going to tweak it more later.

Kyle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9493.JPG (324.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9494.JPG (350.6 KB, 112 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!