Has anyone tried a Betsy-K in a met? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2013, 03:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Has anyone tried a Betsy-K in a met?

Has anyone modeled this combination? I've been digging around but can't seem to find anything. It seems like it might be a cool build but my skills are on the woodworking end and very much lacking on the engineering side of things. A point in the right direction, your experiences/ ideas or help designing enclosure dimensions would be hugely appreciated!
Old 8th June 2013, 05:30 AM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is a design that might work - it is big though as you would expect for an 8 inch driver. Dimensions in inches. Use a 1.5 mH + 4 ohm BSC.

Code:
Width_top = (8.00 * 0.0254);
Depth_top = (2.00 * 0.0254);
Height = (60.0 * 0.0254);
Width_bot =(26.0 * 0.0254);
Depth_bot = (16.00 * 0.0254);
Leg_Height = (3.0 * 0.0254);
Driver_pos = (23.0 * 0.0254);   | Distance from top  

| Port depth and length
Port_len = (2.6 * 0.0254);
Port_dia = (5.0 * 0.0254);
Attached Images
File Type: png Met-BetsyK-Freq.png (28.2 KB, 141 views)
Old 8th June 2013, 05:41 PM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Very close to a MLTL I posted/was built the other year on the WBAL forum, which performed quite well [1st plot], so looks like a winner. Note that minimal damping sims a full 10 Hz shift lower than AkAbak! Not sure if I believe it though.

GM
Attached Images
File Type: gif WBAL Betsy-K 35 Hz MLTL.gif (6.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: gif WBAL Betsy-K 30 Hz Metronome.gif (6.7 KB, 111 views)
Old 8th June 2013, 06:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks so much for the help! It does seem like it might be something to try. I knew it was going to be a bit large, but that isn't too bad. Is there any way to get away from using bsc though?
Old 8th June 2013, 07:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Typically a speaker needs to be up against a wall to offset a ~flat response, but tuned this low it may make the bass sound a bit 'boomy' without additional damping down around/in the vent.

GM
Old 9th June 2013, 12:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

GM,
Is your design a rectangular MLTL or a tapered Metronome shape? As a rectangular MLTL with 45 in tall x 11.25 in wide and 16 in de?ep it can sim like yours as seen in the AMLTL and Wibaq threads. I could not get it that deep as a Met.
Old 9th June 2013, 12:21 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleAttack View Post
Thanks so much for the help! It does seem like it might be something to try. I knew it was going to be a bit large, but that isn't too bad. Is there any way to get away from using bsc though?
You can do line level BSC between preamp and power amp and keep parts small and cheap. Or just EQ it if you have an EQ or run from a computer/mp3 player.
Old 9th June 2013, 01:53 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

It's 60" tall same as your Met with a constant [rectangular] taper, dual 6" dia. x 3" vents, driver down 24" Vs your 23", 267.466"^2 CSA Vs your 416"^2, so ~9.287 ft^3 Vs your ~5.944 ft^3.

Smaller footprint, much larger net Vb for greater acoustic efficiency and easier to make, so other than for cosmetic related considerations, positive tapered cabs rarely make sense to me.

I call a positive taper like the Met a ML-horn Vs MJK's ML-TQWT.

GM
Old 9th June 2013, 02:57 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'm not married to the met enclosure if there is a different cabinet design that has proven itself to be great. I should add that this driver will be actively crossed and bi-amped with a ss powered 8" sub. The amp for the full ranger is a vintage EL84 tube amp that just sings but gets a bit soft on the low bass duties. I really want to avoid any passive xo or the need for bsc in this system if possible. Do you have recommendations for something better in this setup for a pretty large room?
Old 9th June 2013, 03:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Look at the WIBAQ thread for the MLTL variant using a Betsy K. It simd very nicely much like GM's design. If you want it to sound big, an FH3 style inspired design with Betsy K will fill a large room nicely.

Hide this!Advertise here!