Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2013, 02:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie at FR w/FE163En-S drivers

I just bought a pair of FOSTEX FE163En-S full range drivers from Madisound. (The drivers are beautiful btw). The drivers come with box plans for a back loaded horn. Are these plans optimal or are there better plans for this driver out there?
Old 29th March 2013, 04:52 PM   #2
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary the Grey View Post
I just bought a pair of FOSTEX FE163En-S full range drivers from Madisound. (The drivers are beautiful btw). The drivers come with box plans for a back loaded horn. Are these plans optimal or are there better plans for this driver out there?
A back loaded horn is a suitable enclosure for that driver, and many people have reported very nice results. Having said that, though coming from the driver manufacturer, Fostex plans are known for not being the best ones out there, not necessarily bad, just not the best. Personally, I don't have experience with them, as I like to research a lot and make my own, or go wth someone else's design that has been extremely proven. My design might come out worst than Fostex plans, but for me is the learning curve that matters.

Planet 10, aka Dave, can provide you with plans, if not mistaken, at a reasonable cost. There are others that will do the same. But, if you want to try to design your own, in another thread Dave does some recommendations and comments that might be very helpful for you.

In another forum there is also a discussion of a large Bass Reflex enclosure being very good for this driver. Another point of view, check it out.

Independently, you have gotten yourself a fine driver that will give you much enjoyment of music. Keep us updated, as your project progress'.
Old 29th March 2013, 05:17 PM   #3
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Those are some nice drivers.

There might be a design for a Metronome with this driver.

You might also want to check out the Cornu spiral BLH for this. It is a little big for the standard 70 cm square size but you can probably scale the base plan up to 88 cm square and it will work well. The Cornu is unique in that it is a wall mount with 4 radial horn mouths and has a very big sound for its size. The best part is that it is very easy to build and doesn't require a workshop with power tools. The 88 cm size is comparable to the 36 in square one built by 6L6. Here is the link to the relevant threads:

Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Good luck.
Old 29th March 2013, 05:39 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guangui View Post
...Planet 10, aka Dave, can provide you with plans, if not mistaken, at a reasonable cost...
Scott @ Woden, not me.

They should work in Victor, or in Hauna.

dave
Old 29th March 2013, 06:21 PM   #5
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default fe 166

Hello,

check out the double horn POSAUNE
for two driver the back driver should be a
Monacor SPH-165 or similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Posaune_innen2_klein linberg.jpg (23.8 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Posaune_70115_Totale.JPG (191.0 KB, 169 views)
Old 29th March 2013, 06:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

With a mass-corner of 464.73Hz, a metronome style box is out if you want any real LF output (unless you're running a current-source or near-current-source amplifier). They're specifically designed for back-horns & high output impedance amplification (confirmed by the designer of the FExx6E series), although the cabinet design Fostex supply doesn't have all that much gain judging from the FR plots. It'd like a larger horn if possible; that's just the physics of the situation unfortunately. If you want a simple box, a BIB style conical horn would work providing you have corners available.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 29th March 2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 29th March 2013, 11:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input guys! Interesting projects here but very low WAF or they look too big for me. I think I'll go with the FOSTEX plans but with a textured black front and varnished Imbuya on the sides and top. If there's not much bass maybe I could build a matching bass box or subwoofer. Or if any of you have a plan that would lend itself to the treatment above that isn't too much larger than the FOSTEX plan, please let me know! Fun stuff this!!!!
Old 30th March 2013, 07:15 AM   #8
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

"I could build a matching bass box or subwoofer. Or if any of you have a plan that would lend itself to the treatment above that isn't too much larger than the FOSTEX plan"

if you will use a sub you can go much smaller look my SCHALMEI Sat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schalmei_riethweb4.jpg (170.9 KB, 151 views)
Old 30th March 2013, 07:43 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary the Grey View Post
Or if any of you have a plan that would lend itself to the treatment above that isn't too much larger than the FOSTEX plan, please let me know! Fun stuff this!!!!
RonHorn Austin A166

dave
Old 30th March 2013, 10:47 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The Austin should beat the stock design by a fair margin; it might have a little more gain than with the design unit (the defunct FE166E), but that's no bad thing -you can always damp it down some if necessary.

Hide this!Advertise here!