Newbie at FR w/FE163En-S drivers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2013, 03:46 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hm View Post
"I could build a matching bass box or subwoofer. Or if any of you have a plan that would lend itself to the treatment above that isn't too much larger than the FOSTEX plan"

if you will use a sub you can go much smaller look my SCHALMEI Sat
Or maybe two tall box subs placed next next to the mains.
Actually my wife doesn't like subs so I would have to find some way of incorporating the sub into the same space or box.

I might still go with the two sub or bass box idea. But my wife says I have to finish all my other projects first. Ahhh, our spouses just don't understand.
Old 30th March 2013, 03:50 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
The Austin should beat the stock design by a fair margin; it might have a little more gain than with the design unit (the defunct FE166E), but that's no bad thing -you can always damp it down some if necessary.
I like the Austin. Except for the wider front baffle piece. Does it have to be so?

Defunct! I was going to make some simple TLs with the Fostex FE166Ens. Or are you refering to something else?
Old 30th March 2013, 03:59 PM   #13
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

If TL/MLTLs are the plan you might look up Bob Brines - he has a nicely sized MLTL for the Fostex FE166EN.
Old 30th March 2013, 05:50 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I like the Austin. Except for the wider front baffle piece. Does it have to be so?
Yes. It ensures a balanced response by ensuring the baffle-step frequency is low enough to be compensated for by the horn.

Quote:
Defunct! I was going to make some simple TLs with the Fostex FE166Ens. Or are you refering to something else?
The FE166E, which the Austin 166 was designed for, is defunct. The current model is the FE166En, which is far from ideal for simple TLs. You can get away with an MLTL, but the FF165wk is somewhat better suited to such loads -I believe Bob shifted to that when it became available.
Old 31st March 2013, 01:23 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Question Which way to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Yes. It ensures a balanced response by ensuring the baffle-step frequency is low enough to be compensated for by the horn.

The FE166E, which the Austin 166 was designed for, is defunct. The current model is the FE166En, which is far from ideal for simple TLs. You can get away with an MLTL, but the FF165wk is somewhat better suited to such loads -I believe Bob shifted to that when it became available.
Maybe I should go with a BLH for the FE166En. MLTL? I forgot what that stands for. Anyway, I think I've seen BLH plans for the FE166En on this forum somewhere.
Old 31st March 2013, 02:33 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Question Concerti Clone for the FE163En-S?

Would a Concerti Clone like Leonidas built elsewhere on this forum for the FE166En and FT17H work for the FE163En-S? Or would it need a total redesign (different dimensions etc.) Would it be advantagious to add a T90 super tweeter on top later? (As spouse and budget allow.)
Old 31st March 2013, 03:05 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hey anybody know what has happened with FEASTREX? The only comment I could find on their forum, besides mine, is about a year old.

I hope they're OK. It's my dream to have a set of Feastrex speakers. Sometime in the next 2 years I hope.
Old 31st March 2013, 07:26 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

MLTL = mass loaded transmission line.

Lots of back-horn plans around for the 166. The 'Concerti clone' isn't really a clone, since the Gemme Audio Concerti was just Fostex's own FE108ESigma horn smoothed out with translam construction, and the Concerti Clone AFAIK does not share any of its dimensions or construction techniques. It would probably need a redesign, although I'd need to check.

Feastrex? Still around TTBOMK, but they relied heavily on Chris Witmer to advertise / promote their products in the West. Since he sadly lost his life in a road accident, they seem to have struggled with communication issues. I don't think they're especially bothered though.

Hide this!Advertise here!