Newbie at FR w/FE163En-S drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought a pair of FOSTEX FE163En-S full range drivers from Madisound. (The drivers are beautiful btw). The drivers come with box plans for a back loaded horn. Are these plans optimal or are there better plans for this driver out there?

A back loaded horn is a suitable enclosure for that driver, and many people have reported very nice results. Having said that, though coming from the driver manufacturer, Fostex plans are known for not being the best ones out there, not necessarily bad, just not the best. Personally, I don't have experience with them, as I like to research a lot and make my own, or go wth someone else's design that has been extremely proven. My design might come out worst than Fostex plans, but for me is the learning curve that matters.

Planet 10, aka Dave, can provide you with plans, if not mistaken, at a reasonable cost. There are others that will do the same. But, if you want to try to design your own, in another thread Dave does some recommendations and comments that might be very helpful for you.

In another forum there is also a discussion of a large Bass Reflex enclosure being very good for this driver. Another point of view, check it out.

Independently, you have gotten yourself a fine driver that will give you much enjoyment of music. Keep us updated, as your project progress'.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Those are some nice drivers.

There might be a design for a Metronome with this driver.

You might also want to check out the Cornu spiral BLH for this. It is a little big for the standard 70 cm square size but you can probably scale the base plan up to 88 cm square and it will work well. The Cornu is unique in that it is a wall mount with 4 radial horn mouths and has a very big sound for its size. The best part is that it is very easy to build and doesn't require a workshop with power tools. The 88 cm size is comparable to the 36 in square one built by 6L6. Here is the link to the relevant threads:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/225622-ever-think-building-cornu-spiral-horn-now-you-can.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/223313-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures.html

Good luck.

fe 166

Hello,

check out the double horn POSAUNE
for two driver the back driver should be a
Monacor SPH-165 or similar.

Attachments

• Posaune_innen2_klein linberg.jpg
    Posaune_innen2_klein linberg.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 217
  • Posaune_70115_Totale.JPG
    Posaune_70115_Totale.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 218
With a mass-corner of 464.73Hz, a metronome style box is out if you want any real LF output (unless you're running a current-source or near-current-source amplifier). They're specifically designed for back-horns & high output impedance amplification (confirmed by the designer of the FExx6E series), although the cabinet design Fostex supply doesn't have all that much gain judging from the FR plots. It'd like a larger horn if possible; that's just the physics of the situation unfortunately. If you want a simple box, a BIB style conical horn would work providing you have corners available.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys! Interesting projects here but very low WAF or they look too big for me. I think I'll go with the FOSTEX plans but with a textured black front and varnished Imbuya on the sides and top. If there's not much bass maybe I could build a matching bass box or subwoofer. Or if any of you have a plan that would lend itself to the treatment above that isn't too much larger than the FOSTEX plan, please let me know! Fun stuff this!!!!

"I could build a matching bass box or subwoofer. Or if any of you have a plan that would lend itself to the treatment above that isn't too much larger than the FOSTEX plan"

if you will use a sub you can go much smaller look my SCHALMEI Sat
Or maybe two tall box subs placed next next to the mains.
Actually my wife doesn't like subs so I would have to find some way of incorporating the sub into the same space or box.

I might still go with the two sub or bass box idea. But my wife says I have to finish all my other projects first. Ahhh, our spouses just don't understand:).

The Austin should beat the stock design by a fair margin; it might have a little more gain than with the design unit (the defunct FE166E), but that's no bad thing -you can always damp it down some if necessary.

I like the Austin. Except for the wider front baffle piece. Does it have to be so?:rolleyes:

Defunct! I was going to make some simple TLs with the Fostex FE166Ens. Or are you refering to something else?:confused:

I like the Austin. Except for the wider front baffle piece. Does it have to be so?

Yes. It ensures a balanced response by ensuring the baffle-step frequency is low enough to be compensated for by the horn.

Defunct! I was going to make some simple TLs with the Fostex FE166Ens. Or are you refering to something else?

The FE166E, which the Austin 166 was designed for, is defunct. The current model is the FE166En, which is far from ideal for simple TLs. You can get away with an MLTL, but the FF165wk is somewhat better suited to such loads -I believe Bob shifted to that when it became available.

Which way to go?

Yes. It ensures a balanced response by ensuring the baffle-step frequency is low enough to be compensated for by the horn.

The FE166E, which the Austin 166 was designed for, is defunct. The current model is the FE166En, which is far from ideal for simple TLs. You can get away with an MLTL, but the FF165wk is somewhat better suited to such loads -I believe Bob shifted to that when it became available.

Maybe I should go with a BLH for the FE166En. MLTL? I forgot what that stands for. Anyway, I think I've seen BLH plans for the FE166En on this forum somewhere.:)

Concerti Clone for the FE163En-S?

Would a Concerti Clone like Leonidas built elsewhere on this forum for the FE166En and FT17H work for the FE163En-S? :cool:Or would it need a total redesign (different dimensions etc.):( Would it be advantagious to add a T90 super tweeter on top later? (As spouse and budget allow.)

MLTL = mass loaded transmission line.

Lots of back-horn plans around for the 166. The 'Concerti clone' isn't really a clone, since the Gemme Audio Concerti was just Fostex's own FE108ESigma horn smoothed out with translam construction, and the Concerti Clone AFAIK does not share any of its dimensions or construction techniques. It would probably need a redesign, although I'd need to check.

Feastrex? Still around TTBOMK, but they relied heavily on Chris Witmer to advertise / promote their products in the West. Since he sadly lost his life in a road accident, they seem to have struggled with communication issues. I don't think they're especially bothered though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.