A Pipe Inside A Box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has a hybrid Horn/Bass Reflex design ever been tried? More specifically, using a PVC pipe inside a Bass Reflex speaker box. See the attached crude drawing.

Attachments

• HornBox.jpg
    HornBox.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 405
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You have a longer internal path for a transmission line with vent output - so maybe this is a mass loaded transmission line. You need a mouth exiting into the outside to have a horn, internally having a straight pipe doesn't make it a horn. There is a interesting folded transmission line design from a while back that used a pipe in a pipe to get a long length with the driver placed at the fold point. The thing stood straight up like a vertical column.

Has a hybrid Horn/Bass Reflex design ever been tried? More specifically, using a PVC pipe inside a Bass Reflex speaker box. See the attached crude drawing.

Yes. It's a DBR / ML horn variation. No reason why you couldn't make one work, but no special advantages (or any for that matter) that I can think of.

Re the horn business, depends what you call a horn. Me, I call anything that expands toward the terminus a horn since it has to possess some form of 1/2 wave resonant behaviour. Of course, you could call the untapered pipe a plane-wave tube (often spoken of in relation to horns since they're most usually encountered when / for testing compression units), but they need to be stuffed to achieve similar impedance results, so not really any joy there either. YMMV.

Man, I can't tell you how many speakers I designed, years ago of course, long before the internet or even the T/S parameters for that matter, only to get a little older and discover they were built long before I put pencil to paper. About the only one I know that has worked well and that I have not seen anywhere else is this one.

Attachments

• IMG_1236.jpg
    IMG_1236.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 179
Hi Jim, not trying to derail the thread, I hope you don't mind, I will move them if you like.
I bet it works far better against a wall at ear or chest level than simply in the floor.
Hi Juan,
Yes, as X has noted they are intended as a wall mount. Having them on the floor like that though does make the compression chamber that much bigger as the bottom horn is effectively shut off so they do sound decent there.

I'd guess you could call something like the Metronome a combined horn / vented box. Expanding TL geometry terminated with a vent, I'd guess its pretty near.

It's a tapped mass-loaded horn. They've been around in various forms since the dawn of time (well, ~the 1930s / '40s at any rate ;) )

Fact is guys, with the exception of some of the digital manipulation we have today (and of course cheap SS power), the pioneers of audio in the 1920s - 1940s beat us all to pretty much everything. There wasn't a whole lot they didn't do, or look into. Then again, I gather even during the great depression top engineers were on 6-figure salaries in their quest to get the most from the least for their respective parent companies, so R&D funding was pretty much a non-issue since it quickly paid for itself.

Last edited:
looking very lovely

Man, I can't tell you how many speakers I designed, years ago of course, long before the internet or even the T/S parameters for that matter, only to get a little older and discover they were built long before I put pencil to paper. About the only one I know that has worked well and that I have not seen anywhere else is this one.

Cal your posted horn on the wall devices look very attractive. Can I ask you a question about them? Why would you want to include curved reflectors in the horn at the bends? This will surely send more high frequency out toward the mouth. and so cause multiple sources of high frequencies which are sure to trouble the brain. Is the mid/high frequency radiated directly from the driver not enough? I would have thought that it would be desire3able to only have the lowest longest frequencies exiting from the multiple horn mouths.Great looking speakers by the way and take up zero floor space. Best regards Moray James.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.