Fostex Fe83en the right small box? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2013, 04:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex Fe83en the right small box?

Hello all again,

I have a very easy and simple question? What is the right small box for the fostex Fe83en drivers? I was told that the boxes Fostex has is not the best for most of ther drivers? They are for my daughters room and she wants a small box. I also want to do this right money is a little tight so if anyone can help me out that would be super. They will be for Just playing everyday music nothing to loud with a t-amp. Thanks jm
Old 25th March 2013, 05:28 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

FE83 does not go very low -- on the order of 150-200 Hz. FF85 will go lower in a smaller box.

dave
Old 25th March 2013, 06:23 PM   #3
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Nat Sound,
Kind of off-topic as it is at odds with thread title, but a higher Qts driver of same size will go lower. It is for your daughter's room and doesn't sound like a critical speaker. I think you might be very happy with a low cost Vifa TC9FD in a bass reflex. If you have some size to play with, even a small folded MLTL will work very well with this driver and that lets you get the box small with 3 folds. I have made a couple and they go down to 55 to 60 Hz and have a very flat mid and high range that sounds very good to my ears. I can get you details on plan if you are interested.
Old 25th March 2013, 08:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Nat Sound,
Kind of off-topic as it is at odds with thread title, but a higher Qts driver of same size will go lower. It is for your daughter's room and doesn't sound like a critical speaker. I think you might be very happy with a low cost Vifa TC9FD in a bass reflex. If you have some size to play with, even a small folded MLTL will work very well with this driver and that lets you get the box small with 3 folds. I have made a couple and they go down to 55 to 60 Hz and have a very flat mid and high range that sounds very good to my ears. I can get you details on plan if you are interested.

No its not off the topic. Yes I am very interested if you could get me the plans? You could Just e-mail me. I already bought the wood and I am set to build. I have not bought the drivers yet but, was going to make my move in the next couple of weeks. My wife and daughter are re-painting her room this weekend. So I will wait in-till you send the plans and then I will buy the Vifa's Thanks N.S.
Old 25th March 2013, 10:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Are you looking for a smaller bookshelf form factor or a low profile wall mount?
Old 25th March 2013, 10:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
Hello all again,

I have a very easy and simple question? What is the right small box for the fostex Fe83en drivers? I was told that the boxes Fostex has is not the best for most of ther drivers? They are for my daughters room and she wants a small box. I also want to do this right money is a little tight so if anyone can help me out that would be super. They will be for Just playing everyday music nothing to loud with a t-amp. Thanks jm
The 3" FF85WK will fit in the uFonkenWK box which is very small. You could also go larger with the 4" FF105WK or the 4.75" FF125WK. I believe both of these larger drivers will fit and work in the standard mFonken box which is still pretty small. Basic plans for these are available in the free Planet10 area.
Old 26th March 2013, 03:42 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No its not off the topic. Yes I am very interested if you could get me the plans? You could Just e-mail me. I already bought the wood and I am set to build. I have not bought the drivers yet but, was going to make my move in the next couple of weeks. My wife and daughter are re-painting her room this weekend. So I will wait in-till you send the plans and then I will buy the Vifa's Thanks N.S.
Nat Sound,
here is the design for a compact folded MLTL using the Vifa. You can mount the driver so that the vent faces forward or backwards depending on your preference. Back vent if placed near wall can augment bass even more.
Regards,
X
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130325_233846381506091.jpg (612.5 KB, 1074 views)
Old 26th March 2013, 08:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Nat Sound,
here is the design for a compact folded MLTL using the Vifa. You can mount the driver so that the vent faces forward or backwards depending on your preference. Back vent if placed near wall can augment bass even more.
Regards,
X

Looks great. Thanks I will build these first. They should be perfect for my daughters room. Thanks again. N.S.
Old 26th March 2013, 08:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssportclay View Post
The 3" FF85WK will fit in the uFonkenWK box which is very small. You could also go larger with the 4" FF105WK or the 4.75" FF125WK. I believe both of these larger drivers will fit and work in the standard mFonken box which is still pretty small. Basic plans for these are available in the free Planet10 area.

Yes the UfonkenWk box is really nice. Limited Help and Limited time and tools. I will keep this in mind for my next box thanks N.S.
Old 26th March 2013, 09:17 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Looks great. Thanks I will build these first. They should be perfect for my daughters room. Thanks again. N.S.
Just a note that the driver can also be mounted on the large 10 in x 13 in wall at the same locations if you wanted a rather flat cabinet to save on desk/shelf space.

For your info, this design if it were a bass reflex, the tuning will only get to 70 Hz, but because it is a MLTL, it reaches 55 Hz.

A convenient source of low cost 1.75 in dia tubing is the core of a paper towel roll.

Good luck!

Hide this!Advertise here!