Fostex Fe83en the right small box? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2013, 10:54 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
FE83 does not go very low -- on the order of 150-200 Hz. FF85 will go lower in a smaller box.

dave
Dave, I've got to politely counter that assesment of yours as i feel it could be a bit misleading.
... Maybe in an open baffle they only hit 150-200hz. But in my experience (commerical and DIY for 7+ years with this driver alone), they can hit a solid 75hz -3db in a 5.4 liter BR enclosure with no stuffing, and they sound smoother (softer) up top than the ff85k's to boot.

My advice to Natural Sound is to build the Fostex recommended BR, put the port in the back, and call it a day. They will sound quite nice indeed.

Best,

Clark
Old 31st March 2013, 11:06 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
Hello all again,

I was told that the boxes Fostex has is not the best for most of ther drivers?
Indeed, many of the Fostex recommended enclosures are not much to write home about/are not that fancy, but do not get caught up in the myth that prevails that they -all- sound bad... many are actually quite decent and I've built dozens of them for various Fostex Drivers, amongst other enclosures for those same drivers.

In the case of the FE83, they got the recommended enclosure very close to right. 6 Liters is in the ballpark for what sounds nice. In my experience, when you pull the stuffing out of an enclosure, you have some leeway to make the enclosure a tad smaller. Hence the 5.4 Liter box size I saw a surprising 75hz come from - whilst the body to the lower mids was still very full and tactile.

Cheers,

Clark
Old 1st April 2013, 08:16 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hello and Thanks Blumenco for the advise. I will start on these boxes as soon as I finish the T.L. I am building for the Vifa drivers. Thanks again. N.S.
Old 4th April 2013, 12:26 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi Blumenco,

I have a pair of your Orcas and I'm really happy with them (with a Bottlehead amp). Just curious, didn't you offer a similar model with the FE103En? I thought I saw that in a photo. If so, I'm wondering why you preferred one over the other? (I have both now.)
Old 4th April 2013, 12:35 AM   #15
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
Hello and Thanks Blumenco for the advise. I will start on these boxes as soon as I finish the T.L. I am building for the Vifa drivers. Thanks again. N.S.
How is the TL fir the Vifas going? Any photos?

Hide this!Advertise here!