Shared box calculaton

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to all

I am building a solar powered soundsystem with a TA2020.

I am listening to the amp at home on my Fostex FE103's in Fostex designed ported boxes. The sound is satisfying, and it gets very loud, too. But I am not going to carry them in a camping site!

Since portability is a requirement, I am thinking about building it like a boombox. If I go that way, should the two channels share the volume of he box? How are the calculations for box volume and bass port(s) affected?

Or maybe it is better to build it as two boxes joined?

I am looking for 8ohm cost effective fullrange drivers that don't have an exposed coil gap (sand...). Input on that is welcome too.

Thanks!

Hi, as the TA2020-020 is rated @ 20W 4Ohms, why choose 8 Ohm speakers ? You will lose SPL ! There are Plenty of low cost 4 Ohm car drivers to choose from. Once you have decided on how much space/volume you can allow for the drivers, then it's time to go comparing T/S-SPL-$ etc etc.

The two speakers can share the same volume of he box.

How are the calculations for box volume and bass port(s) affected?

You just double the volume calculated for one driver, & tune it as if there were one driver in that volume.

Or maybe it is better to build it as two boxes joined?

Sure but, the divider between both would add extra weight.

It is more battery efficient on 8 Ohms, and with the 89db Fostex, it is plenty loud. So I am looking for something similar, like 4 inch/8 Ohm.

The problem with car speakers is that they don't normally state T/S etc, except the expensive ones.

Thanks for the input on calculations, it is helpful

@ costis_n

It is more battery efficient on 8 Ohms,

Actually it isn't. Only if you crank up the volume to take advantage of the extra SPL from using 4 Ohm drivers, would you using more power. Presuming of course they are @ least as efficient as any 8 Ohm drivers you might have used.

The problem with car speakers is that they don't normally state T/S etc, except the expensive ones.

They didn't use to in the past, but these days many do.

Thanks for the input on calculations, it is helpful

Pleasure :)

This looks like a winner to me Visaton W100S-4 4" Woofer with Treated Paper Cone 4 Ohm 292-558

Yes they are 86 dB 1W/1m - 3dB less than your quoted, but as they are 4 Ohms it's the same effeciency. But with these you would get VERY decent bass out of them. in a compactish box. Depending on your chioce of F3/Fb. Sure they only reach 5,000 Hz or so, but i think it's worth adding 2 small low $ tweeters to compliment them. This system would Rock :)

Apparently Peerless TC9FD / TG9FD will be available soon from the local importer in a couple of weeks. Will have to wait.

I would like to avoid tweeters if at all possible, because a. I am not really happy with the highs of this amp and b. simplicity

In the meanwhile, any other driver suggestions are welcome.

SpirosZ
Thanks for your suggestion. I am also looking for a lightweight 8ohm loudspeaker for a speaker backpack. I took a look at your suggestion of the faital pro 4fe32. I almost passed it bye because the link had the specs incorrect on the weight. It said 2.8kg but it is actually 270g. I found another spec sheet for anyone interested it.

http://www.faitalpro.com/products/files/4FE32/8/4FE32_datasheet_8.pdf

I think this might work for my application. Good suggestion.

Does anyone have any experience with this driver ? How does the sound compare with the fostex fe103en, fe126en ?

Thanks Robert

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.