I built FH3's, now recommend my next "classic rock" full-ranger - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2013, 03:06 AM   #1
tlarwa is offline tlarwa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I built FH3's, now recommend my next "classic rock" full-ranger

I built a pair of Frugel-Horn Mk3's this fall, using MA CHP-70 drivers. I love them. Great for jazz, folk, etc. Now I'd like to build another set of full-rangers, likely with larger drivers, that would be my "classic rock" speakers. I find myself having to be careful to not over-drive the FH3's, and sometimes I want to crank it up more than I'm comfortable with. I like the idea of staying with a full-range design, as I'm no pro builder and have never built a crossover in my life. The simplicity of the full-range design suits me fine right now.

Any suggestions? For informational purposes, they will be used on a 12x17 dedicated listening room, and driven by an Audio Analogue Puccini SE integrated amp. Source is vinyl only. I have 8' ceilings. And I have corners to work with ... and size doesn't really matter since its a dedicated space (same with the WAF). Attached is a pic of the equipment end of the room, along with the FH3's.

Thanks for your input!

Tom
Old 24th March 2013, 03:37 AM   #2
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out the WIBAQ thread.
The WIBAQ: TABAQ Design with Betsy K
Old 24th March 2013, 10:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

A step up would be 8 inch TangBand 1772's in a mass loaded transmission line! Good bass able to "rock the house" on a few good watts! Fairly simple construction, great results and not TOO expensive! I have been enjoying mine for a couple years now running a 5 watt KT88 se amp.

Larry
Old 24th March 2013, 10:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Think I'd go for the Eminence 12"er.

Search for the EmKen thread.

Chris
Old 24th March 2013, 11:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm going to vouch for the WiBAQ. They are well suited for rock, since their sensitivity means that you are unlikely to overdrive the driver, and the Betsy K provides plenty of bass. The price is also very low and they are easy to build.
I listen to many type of rock with the WiBAQ. From heavier very distorted stuff like The Dead Weather to softer more acoustic music like Arcade Fire. The WiBAQs take it in stride.
Old 25th March 2013, 12:14 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm not a rocker, but I know for sure that with the right tuning, the 1772 can be a chest-thumper.

Bob
Old 25th March 2013, 02:00 PM   #7
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

There is a big price differential between the 1772 and Betsy K (you can get a pair of Betsy K's for one 1772). Both about 95 dB efficient, but with diffferent Qts values. The Betsy K has Qts of 0.46 and Vas of 83 liters, the 1772 has Qts of 0.27and Vas of 95 liters. Which is better for a MLTL?
Old 25th March 2013, 03:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

12-15 inch coax.

I honestly can't see past them anymore for music that is mor complex than just say an acoustic or single instrument composition. Anything like complex orchestral music or heavier electronic or rock just sounds rough and strained through a single full ranger. Big coax speakers blow most things out the waste with dynamic range and coherency IMO.
Old 25th March 2013, 10:54 PM   #9
tlarwa is offline tlarwa  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
12-15 inch coax.

I honestly can't see past them anymore for music that is mor complex than just say an acoustic or single instrument composition. Anything like complex orchestral music or heavier electronic or rock just sounds rough and strained through a single full ranger. Big coax speakers blow most things out the waste with dynamic range and coherency IMO.
Any specific designs/plans that would not be too difficult to build? I'm not so worried about construction, more about the wiring of the crossover. And cost isn't a major factor, although I'm not interested in Lowther-level prices
Old 25th March 2013, 11:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hmmm...

IIRC, Eminence has crossovers and cabinet volumes all done for their coaxial units.

Might be worth a look there.

Bear in mind, though, that their recommended crossovers will try to balance tweeter power handling. In a home situation, I really wouldn't expect that to become a problem, assuming reasonable use of the tweeter.

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!