Given infinite power .......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, not actually infinite but lots. I have a bass amplifier which will push 800W into my 4ohm 2X12 cabinet. However for the gigs I am currently playing I don't need anything like that much so, I am hatching a plot to us a single 8ohm driver in a smaller cab. That knocks it down to 500W and I drop another 3 db by ditching one driver.
What could I use that is small, robust, and linear? Efficiency does not matter.

Go with a higher impedance load, such 16 or 32 Ω.
I have a 10", RCF, but never used it, 16 Ω .
a multi-way would be optimum, since the power...has the finality to 'meet'
the air around, and speacialized drivers are made for the job.
So, I'd go for a 16 or 32 Ω load. Something like 2 X 12" -8Ω in series, plus
my RCF :D and some vintage horn with its 16 Ω driver.
Not mentioning the crossover :eek::trapper:

It is NOT a PA cab. Even if it was, a loud speaker is merely a transducer. removing the requirement for efficient output allows more freedom to explore the potential to create a even sounding speaker.
However, this is an uphill conversation and I can see that I am not welcome, so I shall remove myself from it.

jeees, don't get yer nix in a twist - everything from your opening post to your avatar, to much of the content on the facebook page in your signature line suggested that this could be for live performance, rather than the reproduction of recorded music

to my mind, that makes it a PA rig , that's all , and very few musical instrument or "PA" worthy speakers I've personally heard could be described as linear

it's probably me who's not welcome in this conversation

it's probably me who's not welcome in this conversation

Possibly, but everything about this thread seems at somewhat at odds with the usual fare normally encountered on the FR forum.

For an 8" driver there's the Visaton B200, Mark Audio makes an 8" and SEAS have the relatively new FA22RCZ. Fostex make some FR 8" drivers but from what I've read they can be a bit hit and miss.

Possibly, but everything about this thread seems at somewhat at odds with the usual fare normally encountered on the FR forum.

For an 8" driver there's the Visaton B200, Mark Audio makes an 8" and SEAS have the relatively new FA22RCZ. Fostex make some FR 8" drivers but from what I've read they can be a bit hit and miss.

I'm as big a fan of Mark's drivers and selected Fostex as anyone, but none of them would be on my list of drivers for my son who's in a small band himself to play at any SPL level with an electric bass, lead or rhythm, or for that matter even miked acoustic - the dynamics and excursion would kill many of them - most particularly so if "nearly infinite" power was available.

I promised myself not to go on about this, but until the application is certain, rather than assumed, any recommendations could be ill-advised as best .

Something from any of the pro PA, musical instrument providers would be on my short list.

edit:

PS - Cal, buddy, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.