Full range driver in black plastic fish bowel.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Look what I read in another thread ( about OB/planars---in the multi-way forum)
The BMR drivers sounded pretty bad tbh. I wasn't expecting a great deal from them at £10 each but they sound really nasal despite the frequency plot suggesting they are good
Happens that the nasalis placed right where the frequency dip ( and impedance peak) is, even if it's a 2" driver instead of the bigger Hi-Wave that you choose.
I think that a 0,5-1 mH coil might work to let the speaker only play the bass.
Maybe you have around some old paper cone tweeters around, and you can play with caps ( capacitors) with them, also some waveguides, if you happen to have some old woofer cones, about 5-6" in diameter for a Frequency Cut at about 2 KHz ...

I would have suggested to look into the Visaton brand on RS_components, but they display only some models.

So I went for the BMR 3 inch drivers, despite the possibility of them being rubbish, as they were cheap and seemed perfect for my needs and enclosure....

I must admit when I first wired them up they sounded pretty bad sitting on the worktop, but as soon as I tried one in a bowl and sealed it in, they came alive!

Very impressed with the bass response out of these little things, and an excellent off axis response - you can walk around them, and have them pointing upright (as pictured) with very little frequency change.

The gold fish bowls were actually transparent, and I didn't want the poly-fill and wire showing, so I have sprayed the two I will be using for the final enclosures silver inside. I am now waiting on the sticky backed car sound deadening stuff and I will line them, stuff them, then glue them up.

I am thinking I will actually sit them on wide low tubes, as that way you can change the angle they point at just by moving the ball on the tube.....

Here are a few pics so far:
IMG_8798.jpg

IMG_8797.jpg

IMG_8796.jpg

IMG_8795.jpg

IMG_8794.jpg

IMG_8792.jpg

IMG_8791.jpg

Last edited:
So they are all finished!

The tar foil sound deadening stuff worked brilliantly to make the bowls very 'dead'.

I am amazed by the SQ of these - I think helped by being placed against a wall and not far from the ceiling (firing downwards into the kitchen) so the bass is reinforced.

I had a pair of monitor audio BR2 which these have replaced and to be honest, my wife and I think they sound better!

So goodbye big MDF boxes, and hello funky, petite, black globes!

IMG_8801.jpg

IMG_8804.jpg

IMG_8802.jpg

I got it from a local garage, but basically it is a thick gooey adhesive then a 3mm layer of tar like goo, then foil (apparently designed to deaden car panels in car doors etc.). I stuck it in strips on the interior overlapping them to give a good covering.

It weighs quite a lot (presumably fairly dense stuff) so the enclosures got a lot heavier, but after doing one bowl, and knocking on the side of them both, the difference was enormous - the dampened bowl was just a dull 'thunk' like it was full of sand.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.