Full Range Speaker recommendations for portable audio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2013, 12:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Full Range Speaker recommendations for portable audio

Hi all,

I am trying to build a compact portable speaker as DIY project. I am new to building audio equipment and i apologize if my questions sound trivial. I am looking for some recommendations regarding the kind of speakers i should be using for the project , here is what i think i am looking for :
  • Small size 3-4"
  • Good sound quality ( something on par the logitech boom-box)
  • Full range ( so that i can simplify the construction)
  • Fairly loud ( enough for a 400-500 Sq.Ft room)

Thanks in advance,
Quincy
Old 17th March 2013, 12:46 AM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out this thread, it uses the Alpair 10, but there is no reason you can't substitute driver with your choice of 4 in. Retro Style Airplay Boombox with Alpair 10 MAOP

Use of Alpair 10's in a boombox is kind of a waste. Check out Tang Band full range W4 drivers. Or Mark Audio CHR-70's are good too and more economical - an example here:

Mahagoni iPod Speaker Dock with CHR-70
Old 18th March 2013, 12:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much for the suggestions, i will purchase two of each and test them out in my design.

I have found one more driver The Madisound Speaker Store . they are built by Fostex, how would you rate them in comparison to the Alpair's and CHR-70's ?

Also is there anything specific i should be looking out for when I am designing a portable speaker, such as power efficiency etc. Do Neodymium magnet speakers perform better?
Old 18th March 2013, 02:34 AM   #4
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

You will not get as much bass out of Fostex but that driver is pretty efficient. I would go with CHR-70. Go with class D amp for low power.
Old 29th March 2013, 11:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestion i am building the unit now, will post back with the details ....
Old 29th March 2013, 01:25 PM   #6
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Good suggestions xrk971... my CHR-70 boombox project with Class-D is loooong overdue. Quincylala, look forward to updates.
Old 30th March 2013, 03:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

+1 on the CHR 70 for a smallish boombox. Very pleasant and accurate speaker in my experience.

I've swapped a few in and out on my project, including the CSS fr125s and the 4" Tangband Bamboo. I've gotten the best sound in a small box out of the CHR 70. A benefit is that the front is all plastic/rubber, with no gaps that dist or liquid can get into.

I did add a pair of the little cheap tweeters that Apex Jr. sells--I think they're made by Audax. Gives a little more top-end sizzle, but not mandatory.

--Buckapound

Hide this!Advertise here!