Vented Box Calculator questions? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2013, 01:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canton Michigan
Default Vented Box Calculator questions?

Good Evening,

I am trying out a speaker calculation program for vent boxes. I picked a driver and used it to see if it would match up with the speaker companys claims? Well it didn't match up? The test driver I used is the Fostex FE-126EN Drivers. They will work in a 10.5 liter box tuned at 61hz with a 2 inch round port and 4.5 inchs long. I understand that. So how come the other program is not matching with companys specs? . I tryed to post the program it but, it would not let me post the program on this web site. C.R.

Last edited by cross reference; 16th March 2013 at 01:12 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 03:47 AM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member
 
xrk971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia
Be more specific when you say it didn't match up. I don't understand what the problem is? You put T/S parameters for FE126EN into a BR program (which one?) And the freq response output graph doesn't match the manufacturer's ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 08:56 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Bob Brines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hot Spring Village AR
In general, your box program will not match the manufacture's plot because the manufacture doesn't measure his speakers in a standard QB3 box. Everything below 500Hz or so is highly dependent on the box. The problem is that you probably cannot know what kind of box/baffle the manufacturer uses. Most manufacturers do not specify this.

Bob
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 01:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canton Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Be more specific when you say it didn't match up. I don't understand what the problem is? You put T/S parameters for FE126EN into a BR program (which one?) And the freq response output graph doesn't match the manufacturer's ?

The program I am using is at MH-Audio-NL.com. The vented box program. Well to be more specific. This progeam didn't match up with the box size that fostex claims it will work or with the port at all. I was doing a test to see if this worked then I would go on to a woofer tester 2 and use a mic with it. Again maybe I am doing something wrong here? C.R.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 01:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canton Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
In general, your box program will not match the manufacture's plot because the manufacture doesn't measure his speakers in a standard QB3 box. Everything below 500Hz or so is highly dependent on the box. The problem is that you probably cannot know what kind of box/baffle the manufacturer uses. Most manufacturers do not specify this.

Bob

Hummm Bob I never would have though of that? Duhhh. Such a simple answer that is the right answer. Thanks Mr. Bob it clears things up. (Speaker Companys who can trust them?) C.R.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 02:33 AM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Bob Brines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hot Spring Village AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Reference View Post
(Speaker Companys who can trust them?) C.R.
Well, maybe. A driver manufacturer cannot know what YOU will put the thing in, so can't give you any guidance below ~500Hz. You know, baffle step, dipole hump, port output, etc,etc. Most manufactures will use an OB of some sort, usually the IEC standard baffle. Some will put the driver in a box behind the IEC baffle. Seas IIRC actually specifies the box they use, if you happen to want to use that box.

Manufactures get a bad rap for smoothing their FR plots. But the reality is that your ears are going to smooth anything you hear to ~ 1/6 octave, so what is the point of showing a raw 16k point FFT? If you want to hunt down potential problems, look at the impedance plot. If you see glitches in the IR plot, you need to look further.

Bob
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 11:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canton Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
Well, maybe. A driver manufacturer cannot know what YOU will put the thing in, so can't give you any guidance below ~500Hz. You know, baffle step, dipole hump, port output, etc,etc. Most manufactures will use an OB of some sort, usually the IEC standard baffle. Some will put the driver in a box behind the IEC baffle. Seas IIRC actually specifies the box they use, if you happen to want to use that box.

Manufactures get a bad rap for smoothing their FR plots. But the reality is that your ears are going to smooth anything you hear to ~ 1/6 octave, so what is the point of showing a raw 16k point FFT? If you want to hunt down potential problems, look at the impedance plot. If you see glitches in the IR plot, you need to look further.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your insightful point of view. I agree with what you have stated above. I guess I will have to rethink things out and do more research on the drivers I will be using? I am just glad again that I have some insightful help on all of the questions I have on speaker diying. Is there a good book I could buy that can help me out from the bottom and work my way up? Thanks C.R.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 11:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Bob Brines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hot Spring Village AR
Vance Dickason's "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" might be a good start.

Bob
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In Bass reflex box (vented)-If I make smaller box than what consequences will I have? eliaselias_0 Multi-Way 6 3rd January 2011 03:49 PM
New webbased box calculator Syncroniq Multi-Way 12 12th March 2010 05:24 PM
Can I mod an old labriynth box to be a vented box? MikeHunt79 Subwoofers 7 23rd May 2006 06:44 PM
Square Duct Questions For Vented Box kelticwizard Multi-Way 16 17th January 2006 05:16 AM
Vented box calculator oshifis Multi-Way 0 18th October 2004 12:12 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:46 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2