Accidental MLTL Technique - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2013, 09:59 PM   #11
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

If it is a room effect, does it change depending on where you sit in the room to listen to it? Doing a measurement will tell a lot. That's interesting that a bass line from a favorite song is what tipped you off. If it is everywhere in the room then the measurement will reveal a big dip in the bass. One other thing, have you checked for air leaks around your driver gaskets or lack of wood glue to seal your cabinets? A small hairline air gap due to bad glue seal can mess with the low bass notes. Is it the low low 41 Hz note?
Old 13th March 2013, 11:43 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I once made an accidental TL. At least I think I did. Built a really tall MTM and put the port near the bottom. Just did. Had a ton of bass. But wasn't very good. Considering I screwed up, it's not a surprise. I've learned since then. I usually just stick to sealed boxes now. If I wasn't a subwoofer user I'd want to learn more about TLs.
Old 14th March 2013, 01:08 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

You will find these programs useful if you are interested in experimenting with MLTL alignments using just free software.

Transmission Line Alignment Tables Spreadsheet by Keith Web on
Transmission Line Theory

Hornresp Plots MLTL SPL response without stuffing effects.

Akabak .. does it all pretty well. Hornresp design data can be exported to Akabak.

ROUGH:
1) use Keith Webb's Excel spread to enter your speakers T/S parameters and use a SL/SO taper=1 to get the Tline cross section area. This area can be entered into Hornresp for a good quality MLTL simulation
2) use Keith Webb's Excel spread to enter your speakers T/S parameters and use a SL/SO taper= 0.05 to 0.1 to mimic the bottom MLTL port area to get the MLTL total height. This height can be entered into Hornresp for a good quality MLTL simulation. These good estimated help you tune a Hornresp design.
3) After studying MLK's MLTL website information you can decide on where to position the speaker and port. The diameter of the speaker also affects the offset distance. You do not want to put a 16" Altec 604 very close to the top. Locating the speaker center in the TL length 0.20x to 0.33x from the top is a good start. A 0.33x spacing removes many harmonics.
4) You can export the Hornresp design data into Akabak and fine tune the port position and the stuffing.
5) DO NOT FORGET ROOM EFFECTs. Many MLTL's depend upon rear wall or corner effects to get the best in-room performance.
Download the free
Baffle Edge Diffraction Simulator Ver 1.2 by Jeff Bagby
"Diffraction & Boundary Simulator 1.20"
6) There are genius designers that blend quarter wave TL tuning with clever BR stuffing and port design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MLTL Altec604.jpg (114.3 KB, 813 views)
File Type: jpg Hiraga Altec 604E.jpg (80.3 KB, 802 views)
Old 14th March 2013, 01:24 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Line Source,
Yes, I am aware of these resources and I also use Akabak. The point of my thread is that it doesn't matter, all you need to do is design for a bass reflex alignment tuned lower than you normally would (no more than 75% of fs) and build the bass reflex box in a long aspect ratio between 30 to 45 inches depending on fs. Set your length and baffle width and the volume gives the depth and the bass reflex program also gives the vent dimensions. Magically, maybe luck, it ends up close to what MJK optimization might produce.
Old 14th March 2013, 01:43 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
I was getting along great with them, then last night I played "With or Without You by U2. The bass-line in that song is one that is ingrained in my head, and I have heard it played correctly so many times I would be embarrassed to say.

Within the first four notes on the Pensils, I knew something was very, very wrong. I eventually realized the cabinets (or their interaction with my room) have a huge, deep null somewhere down low. 2 notes out of the 4-note bass-line were down 15dB or more from the other notes. It was almost like Adam just wasn't playing the notes.

I messed with the EQ and had to get very aggressive with it and even then the bass-line was a mess.

Tuxedo will find it hard to believe, but my accidental nanoTowers can do bass more consistently than my Pensils.
I have always enjoyed 'mysterious ways' by U2 as a bass test song. With that song my fathers Bose 301s sound pretty nasty. The tuning of the cabinet seems to not have a dead spot so much but a live spot where that note is deafeningly loud compared to everything else. It's probably just an inherent problem with resonant systems- with my WiBAQ you have go turn up the volume pretty high to 'activate' the cabinet and get the air moving to get some real bass.
Old 14th March 2013, 02:51 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
If it is a room effect, does it change depending on where you sit in the room to listen to it? Doing a measurement will tell a lot. That's interesting that a bass line from a favorite song is what tipped you off. If it is everywhere in the room then the measurement will reveal a big dip in the bass. One other thing, have you checked for air leaks around your driver gaskets or lack of wood glue to seal your cabinets? A small hairline air gap due to bad glue seal can mess with the low bass notes. Is it the low low 41 Hz note?
It is the lowest of the 4 notes in that bass line, and much of the second-lowest note as well. On the other hand, the two higher notes are very BOOMY.

Listen to the song again if you have it and imagine that the first 8 notes are solid and BOOMY, then the second 8 notes nearly disappear, then back to BOOMY, then disappear to a lesser extent.

It is annoying as sh!t, and my other two pairs of speakers don't do it. Each note has the same volume.
Old 14th March 2013, 04:32 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Got the issue mostly solved.

Alpair 10.2 "Castle" ?
Old 14th March 2013, 06:10 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Glad you fixed it. I did not realize you stuffed all the way either. I learned from TABAQ that bottom third is empty and that has just stuck with me. Sometimes I remove up to 1/2 along length for extra bass.
Old 14th March 2013, 06:12 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

You guys sound like you expected a MLTL to have significantly different response than a vented box of the same volume. The MLTL will have extended low end, but not by 10 or 20Hz as you all seem to have expected. It will be be a few hz.
Using a vented box model and having it be close to an MLTL shouldn't be a revelation.

Having "lots of bass" out of a tall ported box shouldn't be a surprise if your normal build is a sealed box.
Old 14th March 2013, 07:15 PM   #20
Gost22 is offline Gost22  Bolivia
Banned

Hi sir Xrk971!
Which speaker combination (box) you propose for the LM3886 audio amplifier!?
Offer your solution a lot because I appreciate your work!
thank you and cheers!

Hide this!Advertise here!