How to get the right volume in a trapezoid box? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2013, 01:05 AM   #31
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canton Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Are these the inside dimensions? If not, give them, including the height.

Sorry 40 inchs tall.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 01:07 AM   #32
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member
 
xrk971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
Yes all is welcome on my post no matter what cal . This is the height of the box all the way around. The box is 40 inchs tall. The front and back's are the same which is the bottom is 11 inchs wide and the top is 6 inchs wide. The sides are 10 inchs on the bottom wide by 2 inchs on the top wide. Now I used 3/4's birch ply-wood. The box was cut wrong and the guy who was helping me was in a hurry and was not listening to me. Cost me a lot of money and time so he got fired. I had to finsh Cutting angle cuts on a broken table and with a circle saw is not fun for a first time user. Jeff
I see dimensions of 10 in and 11 inches and 2 inches now, how are original 4, 6, 7, and 9 inches related to these numbers???? At least we know it is 40 inches tall. A drawing w dims would be helpful ad I am more confused than ever.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 01:16 AM   #33
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canton Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I see dimensions of 10 in and 11 inches and 2 inches now, how are original 4, 6, 7, and 9 inches related to these numbers???? At least we know it is 40 inches tall. A drawing w dims would be helpful ad I am more confused than ever.

Sorry the first set of numbers were an example and trying and get the ball rolling and helping me out? Duhhhh? I feel like a big dummy. I should have told you the right box dimensions a mistake on my part. As for the drawings they are long gone. Now I have to cut the boxe sides off to see how I built them. I have forgotten and I have been thru the mill this last year been ruff. Jeff
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 01:38 AM   #34
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
((Area at the top)+(Area at the bottom))/2 x height = volume

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 03:06 AM   #35
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
It's not that difficult, but in order to simplify things:

Online Conversion - Volume of a Trapezoid tank

Volume of a Rectangular Trapezoidal Trough
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 04:25 AM   #36
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member
 
xrk971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
((Area at the top)+(Area at the bottom))/2 x height = volume

dave
Technically, the divide by two should be into the sum of the top and bottom areas (parenthesis div by 2) to get the average area x height, which is the same as what I said in post 3 and all along. And it works for any prismatic shape with parallel top and bottoms and prism can be skewed to side and doesn't have to be straight up and it still works. Very simple formula. Planet10 and I agree.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 06:47 AM   #37
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
fixed

dave
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 08:24 PM   #38
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canton Michigan
A big Thank you to everyone in helping me out. It helps me out a lot and it keeps me going on my speaker projects. So please see if I got this right below? It's my first time doing this kinda math.

So here go's let see if I get this right? ( 5 + 8 * into 2 = 6.5 x 40 = 260. So is this right? (or is it 5+5+8+8 = 26 * 2 = 13 x 40 = 520?)

Last edited by cross reference; 13th March 2013 at 08:45 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 10:06 PM   #39
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member
 
xrk971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
A big Thank you to everyone in helping me out. It helps me out a lot and it keeps me going on my speaker projects. So please see if I got this right below? It's my first time doing this kinda math.

So here go's let see if I get this right? ( 5 + 8 * into 2 = 6.5 x 40 = 260. So is this right? (or is it 5+5+8+8 = 26 * 2 = 13 x 40 = 520?)
Again, not sure where you are getting your numbers from (5, and 8?)?

Based on your earlier post it would seem that the top lid is a rectangle 2 x 6 inches and the bottom panel is a rectangle 10 x 11 inches right? And the height is 40 inches?

Using the formula that Dave and I stated above:

Average of area of top and bottom x height = (area_top + area_bottom)/2 x height,

area_top = 2x6 square inches, area_bottom = 10x11 square inches, or

(2x6 + 10x11)/2 x 40 = (12+110)/2 x 40 = 122/2 x 40 = 61 x 40 =

2440 cubic inches.

2440cu in / 1728 cu in per cu ft = 1.412 cubic feet
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 10:28 PM   #40
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canton Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Again, not sure where you are getting your numbers from (5, and 8?)?

Based on your earlier post it would seem that the top lid is a rectangle 2 x 6 inches and the bottom panel is a rectangle 10 x 11 inches right? And the height is 40 inches?

Using the formula that Dave and I stated above:

Average of area of top and bottom x height = (area_top + area_bottom)/2 x height,

area_top = 2x6 square inches, area_bottom = 10x11 square inches, or

(2x6 + 10x11)/2 x 40 = (12+110)/2 x 40 = 122/2 x 40 = 61 x 40 =

2440 cubic inches.

2440cu in / 1728 cu in per cu ft = 1.412 cubic feet

The numbers 5 and 8 have to do with a box I just cut out a few days ago. Nothing to do with this project. I just had my head in another area. Yes your correct about 2x 6 and 11 and 12 and 40. Thanks again I understand now. Jeff

Last edited by cross reference; 13th March 2013 at 10:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
box volume for sub thefox Subwoofers 5 29th December 2011 03:25 PM
Parts Express knock-down trapezoid cabinets cyclecamper PA Systems 11 13th December 2011 10:39 PM
Line Array Isosceles Trapezoid Question dc270 Multi-Way 5 3rd February 2006 06:25 AM
Box volume eitanwaks Multi-Way 7 19th April 2005 02:45 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:48 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2