Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2013, 03:25 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Measurements will tell the story. Even in the same spot, a different speaker configuration can make a difference, although slight. It may just be the tunings are different. If the speaker is about 3ft from the rear wall, an 80hz null is a common problem. A subwoofer can really help here as it can be pushed tight to a wall. Speakers to close to a wall suffer when to close to a wall. Other nulls depend on the seat location more.
Old 13th March 2013, 03:32 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Measurements will tell the story. Even in the same spot, a different speaker configuration can make a difference, although slight. It may just be the tunings are different. If the speaker is about 3ft from the rear wall, an 80hz null is a common problem. A subwoofer can really help here as it can be pushed tight to a wall. Speakers to close to a wall suffer when to close to a wall. Other nulls depend on the seat location more.
The 16" depth of these Pensils basically makes it necessary for them to be inches from the wall; otherwise WAF plummets. Perhaps I have chosen the wrong cabinet.

Either way, I will test the speakers at different distances from the wall to see if you that is the issue.
Old 13th March 2013, 04:50 PM   #23
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

We've long held that cross bracing of larger panels on cabinets such at the Pensils is very important, particularly if the rear panel is made removable for fine tuning of damping, and our approach is certainly different than Bob's in several areas, but his M10-Al0 could be a more WAF alternative for a single A10 per side.

I built a pair pretty much according to his plans, and they work very well indeed.

Last edited by chrisb; 13th March 2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 13th March 2013, 04:54 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
You crack me up Chris, ouch. Hopefully it'll have a nice desk system for summer tunes.

now there's a thought - add to the short list for Mark's new product development - weather resistant drivers

does anyone know of a solar powered outdoor Air-tunes speaker?
Old 13th March 2013, 05:03 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
We've long held that cross bracing of larger panels on cabinets such at the Pensils is very important, particularly if the rear panel is made removable for fine tuning of damping, nd our approach is certainly different than Bob's in several areas, but his M10-Al0 could be a more WAF alternative for a single A10 per side.

I built a pair pretty much according to his plans, and they work very well indeed.
Well, I did cross-brace, however I suspect that one of them might be too close to centre. Also, they are small, so I assumed I didn't need holes in them.

I will do some measurements, investigate, etc. but I may be looking at trashing the Pensils. I'm OK with that. Glad I didn't buy BB.
Old 13th March 2013, 06:25 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Correction from earlier. The song was "With or Without You" not "One".
Old 13th March 2013, 06:55 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

just driving in the truck and realized, how could I have forgotten to add Marcus Miller & Victor Wooten to the bass list, and for sheer funkified dynamics that'll test drive the ability of your system to hold together, anything by Maceo Parker "those Girls" - not bad tootin for a 70 year old
Old 14th March 2013, 01:20 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
The 16" depth of these Pensils basically makes it necessary for them to be inches from the wall; otherwise WAF plummets. Perhaps I have chosen the wrong cabinet.....
Depth of the cabinet is irrelevant. Its the distance for the DRIVER to the wall.

Bob
Old 14th March 2013, 01:39 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
Depth of the cabinet is irrelevant. Its the distance for the DRIVER to the wall.

Bob
I think you misunderstood me.

The cabinets are 16" deep. If they were to be placed any more than a few inches from the wall, they would protrude into the room in a very WAF-reducing way. Heck, even I don't want the things in my way when I walk around the room. In this respect, the depth of the cabinet is most relevant. Had I known there was an issue placing them near the wall, I never would have built them. I refrained from building OB + H for this very reason.

An update on the bass issue:

I played the same song through all 3 sets of speakers. My nanoTowers and microTowers render the bass accurately, in the exact same positions. There is definitely something up with the Pensils. In other words, it isn't the room, or my ears.

No regrets. I hope to figure it out, but if I don't, then I will start from scratch.

Last edited by cogitech; 14th March 2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 14th March 2013, 01:50 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

It sure looks that way, but to be sure, are the drivers and ports in the same location? If the more slender speakers are pushed against the wall more, that may make the bass better for that song, but will create an "issue" higher in frequency that is less easily identified.

Or if one is taller than the other, etc. I can see it changing so dramatically over a couple feet even, so I'm not saying you're wrong, just for complete trouble shooting.

I wonder what it could be... Have you done the battery test for polarity...?

EDIT - Does excursion go crazy when the bass disappears?

Last edited by tuxedocivic; 14th March 2013 at 01:58 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!