Alpair 10.2 "Castle" ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2013, 08:34 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Ideally, bipolar speakers radiate into 4-pi space across the frequency band so baffle step isn't an issue. Even a castle arrangement likely wouldn't need BSC.

My listening to a 10.2 MLTL indicates there is minimal adjustment needed for a monopolar version.

Last edited by Jim Griffin; 12th March 2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12th March 2013, 09:04 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

That's why I ask. The additional driver may fatten the sound to much. The bass performance usually isn't something people find lacking with the alp10.
Old 12th March 2013, 10:29 PM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
Thanks for the info, Chris.

At the risk of offending Dave (I really hope I don't) I have to be honest and say that the "Kens" have never really appealed to me visually. On top of that, they look considerably more difficult to build than many others.

My only conclusion is; they must sound amazing!

never apologize for your aesthetic taste,

yes they are rather more bother than a simple MLTL of same approx size and tuning

yes, they do offer some benefits in terms of more control from mid-bass on down, at the sacrifice of less slam / weight

TUX:

agreed on the A10.2 - for my taste it has more than adequate response without any BSC EQ - 2 might very well be too fat in a less than critically damped enclosure -

Personally, I'd be more inclined to try 7.3s in a Castle, or wait for the new 8

It'd be only a little bit silly and expensive to go for dual MAOP7s

What am I saying, it'd probably be stupid good - expensive yes, but far less than the premium meal and adult beverage upgrade package on a 10 day Caribbean cruise , or the HST on this spring's sundeck renos ( motorized awning, staircase, vinyl and glass railing system.) That's a $20,000 check mrs B has no trouble writing - go figure.
Old 13th March 2013, 02:01 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

You crack me up Chris, ouch. Hopefully it'll have a nice desk system for summer tunes.
Old 13th March 2013, 02:06 AM   #15
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Glad to see you're supporting the local economy, Chris!
don
Old 13th March 2013, 03:01 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yep, Chris often cracks me up, but I never have anything quite as witty to reply with, so I just giggle by myself.

Re: the original topic; I think I could handle the "fat" of an Alpair 10.2 Castle. The need to attenuate bass is more attractive than never having enough.

Granted, the bass of the single Alpair 10.2 is impressive, but (again at the risk of offending someone) it is not very balanced or well controlled so far. I wouldn't call it a one-note wonder, but there are tracks that just sound completely wrong on the bass. Example: U2 - "One". The bass line is a complete mess on my Pensil 10.2s.
Old 13th March 2013, 04:07 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

... error...
Old 13th March 2013, 01:39 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Woke up at 3am with terrible sinus pain, and a single thought in my head: "my pensils have a null."

You see, the bass it great, it is just almost completely missing a note or two...

Am I correct to suspect standing waves due to sub-optimal bracing implementation?

...But I should probably take this over to my build thread...
Old 13th March 2013, 01:59 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Likely speaker placement not bracing. But yes, it's very likely that's your bass issue.
Old 13th March 2013, 02:34 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Likely speaker placement not bracing. But yes, it's very likely that's your bass issue.
I hope that isn't the case, because a) the speakers pretty-much have to remain where they are and b) my microTowers have no issues with bass sitting in the exact same position.

I'm going to run some sweeps after work today and see exactly where the problem is. Will run sweeps of the microTowers in the same position. Probably will run sweeps with the nanoTowers, too, as I have been meaning to do that for quite some time.

Last edited by cogitech; 13th March 2013 at 02:37 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!