FAST system with H Frame subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have had this idea rolling around in my head a while and I am curious what you guys think. Has anyone here tried building a fast system with an H Frame subwoofer section (ala linkwitz orion) with a full range cab up top. I'm not sure if or when I will get to test such a design but I have a hunch that it might be a winner. I think the part that would need the most experimentation would be the enclosure for the full range. I would try a simple sealed enclosure first but I'm not sure how a point source speaker would blend with the dipole bass. I'm sure it wouldn't be terrible but I wonder if it would be better then my current parker audio 98's + sub.

At the moment, I have FF156WK's over the Goldwood H-frames. Crossing a 100 4th order LR. No real reason for that XO other than it seemed reasonable. Didn't take the time to play with it. The test of this kind of low XO is to play an instrumental that runs through the XO on both sides -- 'cello or bassoon or such. If the volume remains the same as the instrument crosses the XO, all is well.

AT this low a frequency, the top is still running 4pi through the XO, so integration is not much of an issue.

Bob

bob what would you describe as the strengths and weaknesses of your system? Do you listen to much modern electronic bass heavy music? I am sure a system like yours sounds great for small instrumental pieces but I am curious how it would handle something like Big Boi - back up plan or The Glitch Mob - fortune days.

Would you feel comfortable playing the h frames up around 200-400hz? The ff156wk plays low and I was thinking a 3-5" full ranger would be a better way to go. I just don't think drivers covering the lowest octave sound great playing that high. I'm not sure how well my plan of an Orion style h-frame would sound playing much above 90hz.

FAST, on paper, looks like a great way to fix some of the problems with full range drivers. I am just not sure it is worth the extra work when compared to a well designed full range floor stander + sub. For me to really know the answer however would require me to hear multiple setups of both to compare and I just don't think that is feasible.

bob what would you describe as the strengths and weaknesses of your system?

For a makeshift combo, the FF165WK BR and the Goldwood GR-1858 work surprisingly well. I have a reasonably smooth transistion. Top has good mids, maybe a little weak at the very top. Bottom is sufficiently deep and strong for my requirements.

Do you listen to much modern electronic bass heavy music?

No. I listen to 90% acoustic music.

I am sure a system like yours sounds great for small instrumental pieces but I am curious how it would handle something like Big Boi - back up plan or The Glitch Mob - fortune days.

Haven't a clue. Does a reasonable job with Rachmaninoff.

Would you feel comfortable playing the h frames up around 200-400hz?

Not with the Goodwood's. I did run them up to 300 with an OB top. Only OK. Really need a better woofer to go that high.

The ff156wk plays low and I was thinking a 3-5" full ranger would be a better way to go. I just don't think drivers covering the lowest octave sound great playing that high. I'm not sure how well my plan of an Orion style h-frame would sound playing much above 90hz.

I agree. If I had a better woofer, I would go with the A7.3's crosses~250Hz. I have the A7.3's in my HT crossed to a good Peerless woofer at 165Hz and it sounds really good and crazy loud.

FAST, on paper, looks like a great way to fix some of the problems with full range drivers. I am just not sure it is worth the extra work when compared to a well designed full range floor stander + sub. For me to really know the answer however would require me to hear multiple setups of both to compare and I just don't think that is feasible.

FAST is simply a 2-way crossed low. One box, two boxes -- same difference.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.