Crossover wiring diameter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2013, 03:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Crossover wiring diameter

What diameter of wiring should I use to wire a Fostex T90A super tweeter (in a 208 Sigma enclosure)?

I'm thinking of using silver solid core with teflon shield, inner diameter ranges from 0.29mm to 0.45mm (600v, 1.9 to 3.9A). What would be best?

This is my first speaker build, so any input would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 27th February 2013, 01:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A pair of 24ga wires from a CAT5 cable would be my choice.

Bob
Old 1st March 2013, 10:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bob,
After spending over 1000 on wood, drivers, tweeters, varnish etc, It seems daft to scrimp over a few buck for some wire. I don't need much, a couple of metres will do.

I was wondering if there was any diameter I shouldn't use, ie, lower than...? more than..?
Old 1st March 2013, 11:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Given the lengths you say are involved & the very minor voltage it will have to carry in the HF, gauge isn't really going to be an issue. Assuming copper, you'd need to shift to something smaller than 30ga for you to get sufficient voltage drop to affect things, let alone significantly.

FWIW, like Bob, I'd suggest you stick with solid core wire. A couple of wires from a run of Cat5 should do the job perfectly well. You could spend money on fancy materials; hyper-refined copper, gold plated copper, solid silver, silver plated copper, copper/silver alloy, silver/gold alloy etc. if you think you'd be happier with that & you have the cash to spare. Lots of companies / choice & it's unlikely to do any harm. YMMV as ever.
Old 2nd March 2013, 12:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Found this thread.... it was hiding.

best guage wire for speaker internals
Old 2nd March 2013, 01:34 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I had a look at Cat5 cable, the wires look very thin, like those in a phone line, but still more than 30ga I imagine. I've also just read that some people preferring copper as silver is too 'bright'. I am completely new to this, there just so much choice and so many opinions.

I have just completed my first project ever; a Bottlehead S.E.X. amp, and most of the wiring was solid core, some stranded and some STP.

Why is solid-core used in preference to stranded and vice-versa?
Old 2nd March 2013, 02:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adejacko View Post
Thanks Bob,
After spending over 1000 on wood, drivers, tweeters, varnish etc, It seems daft to scrimp over a few buck for some wire. I don't need much, a couple of metres will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adejacko View Post
I've also just read that some people preferring copper as silver is too 'bright'.
My point, as Scott has already mentioned, is that there are places to spend money and places where it is simply wasteful. The quality of the sound you get out of a system is something like 75% the speakers, 25% the amp, and what ever else you do makes up the difference. Wire is wire, unless it has truly weird electrical characteristics. Double blind test have shown that straight copper wire sounds identical to expensive boutique cables. And the only thing bright about silver wire is its color. The science of the problem does indicate that the smallest guage wire that will carry the current load is the best. Hence the recommendation of 24ga solid copper.

Bob
Old 3rd March 2013, 05:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

24ga solid copper it is then. What about the gauge for the drivers? The same or a bit thicker?
Old 3rd March 2013, 05:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Over typical internal distances? With a 208 & the kind of amplifiers it was designed to be used with? 24ga should be fine. You could increase to, say, 20ga, but you certainly won't need more than that.

Hide this!Advertise here!