15" Audio Nirvana Open Baffle - Request for proposal - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2013, 12:52 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile 15" Audio Nirvana Open Baffle - Request for proposal

Hi,

I am looking to build a OB with a 15" Audio Nirvana cast frame driver. It is a 3 way arrangement, with the AN as the main actor and a 15" Celestion pro woofer for bass and a Beston Ribbon tweeter for the upper highs...

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/...ifications.pdf

I will be biamping them with a probably a tube amp for the AN and the tweeter and an AV amp for the woofer. I may employ a high pass for the AN but I am not sure.

I am aware of Melonhead's work, but it lack relevance to this project because he was using the AN as a woofer (but he has so many variants of the project I don't know how is it finally).

At present moment my plan is to build a 2 feet wide U-baffle with only one wing (is that called an L?). The other wing will be tapered. The wing will probably be 1 foot at the base. The reason for only one wing is I intend to put the drivers in the center, so the single winged approach is to create assymetry to reduce the resonance node.

I have built open baffles before with the SEAS FA22 and another 4X8 inch woofers from Jamo, so I am not new to this.

This is where you guys come in:

1) I am open to suggestions on the suggestion on how this thing can be improved or made more interesting.

2) Modelling the frequency response of the L frame speaker. Any good software out there?

Many thanks in advance!

Oon
Old 27th February 2013, 01:58 AM   #2
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

1. I think you are on the right track. If anything I would look for options to time align, maybe a slanted baffle.

2. Frequency should be 190 Hz with a 24" baffle. I like to use mh-audio.nl - Home, because it is simple. I cannot find one that I have used before, and is an Excel based calculator, but it is very good, maybe someone can mention the name. Though I have not used it, try WinISD.

Which Beston tweeter? The one on-sale at PE, RT003C?

Last edited by guangui; 27th February 2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old 27th February 2013, 05:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yup. That's the one. I was thinking because of the small size of that twweter, I could put it in front of the an15 making it a coaxial..

Oon
Old 1st March 2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

OR one could buy a Quality 15" coaxial and forgo the sub :-)
Old 1st March 2013, 10:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Actually the AN has a coax version with compression driver. However I believe the sound from the coax could be highly directional. That is why I opted for an external one. I prefer a more dispersed treble. Anyway.,have given up on the idea. Too much hassle....

Oon
Old 2nd March 2013, 01:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oon_the_kid View Post
Actually the AN has a coax version with compression driver. However I believe the sound from the coax could be highly directional. That is why I opted for an external one. I prefer a more dispersed treble. Anyway.,have given up on the idea. Too much hassle....

Oon
i recently heard an altec 604 co-ax system and it was quite simply the best sounding system i've ever heard.

i'm trying to make the time to listen to a tannoy westminster system as i'm now pretty convinced that a good co-ax system will simply wipe the floor with pretty much any fullrange driver in terms of the best dynamic and consistent 'singular' point sound source.
Old 3rd March 2013, 03:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
i recently heard an altec 604 co-ax system and it was quite simply the best sounding system i've ever heard.

i'm trying to make the time to listen to a tannoy westminster system as i'm now pretty convinced that a good co-ax system will simply wipe the floor with pretty much any fullrange driver in terms of the best dynamic and consistent 'singular' point sound source.
I heard that big Tannoy, yes it is rather incredible. The sound is just everywhere in the room, you don't have the feeling as if it comes out of speakers. Very musical and dynamic.
Old 25th June 2013, 09:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Oon...

Any update?
Old 26th June 2013, 03:15 AM   #9
batsong is offline batsong  United States
diyAudio Member

David Dicks has a pair of neodymium AN15's loaded into the 5.6 cabs set up at his place. They put out pretty adequate bass. I went over there with the idea to pick up some drivers to in OB's with 15" Betas but changed my mind after hearing what single 15" fullrange driver could do.
Old 28th June 2013, 11:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Nope no update. Been busy. Will try and do it in september...

Oon

Hide this!Advertise here!