15" Audio Nirvana Open Baffle - Request for proposal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am looking to build a OB with a 15" Audio Nirvana cast frame driver. It is a 3 way arrangement, with the AN as the main actor and a 15" Celestion pro woofer for bass and a Beston Ribbon tweeter for the upper highs...

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/299-418-factory-buyouts-specifications.pdf

I will be biamping them with a probably a tube amp for the AN and the tweeter and an AV amp for the woofer. I may employ a high pass for the AN but I am not sure.

I am aware of Melonhead's work, but it lack relevance to this project because he was using the AN as a woofer (but he has so many variants of the project I don't know how is it finally).

At present moment my plan is to build a 2 feet wide U-baffle with only one wing (is that called an L?). The other wing will be tapered. The wing will probably be 1 foot at the base. The reason for only one wing is I intend to put the drivers in the center, so the single winged approach is to create assymetry to reduce the resonance node.

I have built open baffles before with the SEAS FA22 and another 4X8 inch woofers from Jamo, so I am not new to this.

This is where you guys come in:

1) I am open to suggestions on the suggestion on how this thing can be improved or made more interesting.

2) Modelling the frequency response of the L frame speaker. Any good software out there?

Many thanks in advance!:)

Oon

1. I think you are on the right track. If anything I would look for options to time align, maybe a slanted baffle.

2. Frequency should be 190 Hz with a 24" baffle. I like to use mh-audio.nl - Home, because it is simple. I cannot find one that I have used before, and is an Excel based calculator, but it is very good, maybe someone can mention the name. Though I have not used it, try WinISD.

Which Beston tweeter? The one on-sale at PE, RT003C?

Last edited:
Actually the AN has a coax version with compression driver. However I believe the sound from the coax could be highly directional. That is why I opted for an external one. I prefer a more dispersed treble. Anyway.,have given up on the idea. Too much hassle....

Oon

i recently heard an altec 604 co-ax system and it was quite simply the best sounding system i've ever heard.

i'm trying to make the time to listen to a tannoy westminster system as i'm now pretty convinced that a good co-ax system will simply wipe the floor with pretty much any fullrange driver in terms of the best dynamic and consistent 'singular' point sound source.

i recently heard an altec 604 co-ax system and it was quite simply the best sounding system i've ever heard.

i'm trying to make the time to listen to a tannoy westminster system as i'm now pretty convinced that a good co-ax system will simply wipe the floor with pretty much any fullrange driver in terms of the best dynamic and consistent 'singular' point sound source.

I heard that big Tannoy, yes it is rather incredible. The sound is just everywhere in the room, you don't have the feeling as if it comes out of speakers. Very musical and dynamic.

David Dicks has a pair of neodymium AN15's loaded into the 5.6 cabs set up at his place. They put out pretty adequate bass. I went over there with the idea to pick up some drivers to in OB's with 15" Betas but changed my mind after hearing what single 15" fullrange driver could do.

Hi,

Maybe I just update what I have in mind at the moment my so called speaker in the air...

I am presently thinking of a 15 inch trio. An audio Nirvana 15" full range at the top followed by a 15 inch pro woofer and a 15 inch subwoofer at the bottom. It is described in detail in this other thread. Working on the subwoofer part. The speaker will be slanting so the audio nirvana will be be perpetually of axis, just to reduce the shoutiness you sometimes get on axis.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/235271-open-baffle-subwoofer.html

Still trying to figure out the subwoofer part...:eek:

Just finished building my Firstwatt F2J clone. Sounds gorgeous...:)Taking a breather for now...

Oon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.