What do you like? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2013, 04:53 PM   #51
Sus is offline Sus  United States
diyAudio Member

First thing I thought of was the Cornu when I saw a pic of Norton's speaker. That of course is a BLH. I have to do a lot more of very confusing reading before continuing.

The spiral Nautilus uses 4 drivers with cross overs. There is enough to worry about with out having to fight the cross over design. Has nay one ever looked at electronic noise cancellation like Bose uses on head phones? I gone though 2 sets of these things and like them in my shop. However they are very fragile and expensive so I have returned to passive hearing protectors. Bose engineering does not have a decent ME is my opinion.

The programs for building speakers also has me confused. I reads that they treat air as incompressible in the formulas. Really?

What is the effect of sound in a large room like my shop ? Not to sure this is a problem if I'm in a zone of 20 or so feet from the speakers. My present AR's give me all the volume I can stand in my work area. My amp has individual pots for volume control. I can steer the sound to fit my location if I want to. At least it sounds ok for me. I am not golden.

Another question is if a speaker is rated at lets say 100 watts RMS, not to sure what a music rating is, does the sound quality vary much between 50 watts +- what ever for a typical BLH enclosure?

Lots of stuff to do in Audio. I think I will shut up for a while.
Old 1st March 2013, 05:02 PM   #52
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
First thing I thought of was the Cornu when I saw a pic of Norton's speaker. That of course is a BLH.
Cornu is in fact, a BLH with multiple radially aligned mouths.

Quote:
The spiral Nautilus uses 4 drivers with cross overs. There is enough to worry about with out having to fight the cross over design.
Nautilus uses the spiral as a semin infinite tube to prevent back relections - it is not a transmission line with bass output at the terminus of the spiral.

Quote:
Has nay one ever looked at electronic noise cancellation like Bose uses on head phones? I gone though 2 sets of these things and like them in my shop. However they are very fragile and expensive so I have returned to passive hearing protectors. Bose engineering does not have a decent ME is my opinion.
I use in-ear monitors with a good foam tip seal to achieve 33 dB isolation. Balanced armature drivers (bass + tweeter) are a good way to go. I have the Aurvana's which ahve 10 Hz -17 kHz response with 114 dB/mW sensitivity.

Quote:
The programs for building speakers also has me confused. I reads that they treat air as incompressible in the formulas. Really?
Most fluid dynamics except for supersonic flows use incompressible assumption which is very good assumption when Mach number is < 0.1. Which is one reason you want to keep Mach number in vent port low.

Quote:
What is the effect of sound in a large room like my shop ? Not to sure this is a problem if I'm in a zone of 20 or so feet from the speakers. My present AR's give me all the volume I can stand in my work area. My amp has individual pots for volume control. I can steer the sound to fit my location if I want to. At least it sounds ok for me. I am not golden.
My point earlier - are you trying to fill entire shop with even sound like an arean? If so line arrays are way to go.

Another question is if a speaker is rated at lets say 100 watts RMS, not to sure what a music rating is, does the sound quality vary much between 50 watts +- what ever for a typical BLH enclosure?

Lots of stuff to do in Audio. I think I will shut up for a while.[/QUOTE]

Hide this!Advertise here!