Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2013, 08:57 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Old 26th February 2013, 09:15 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Build Silbury so you can tell me how they sound!

Woden Design | Silbury
Old 27th February 2013, 12:27 AM   #23
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One of my searches turned un Martin J King. Seems to be a mathematician. As the saying goes A physic major is a fail mathematician, an engineer is a fail physics major. So that leaves me in 3rd place. Who am I to argue with Mr King?
Engineer for sure.

Quote:
Fluid dynamics is probably one of the more difficult studies in school.Any thing to do with air is uncompromisable to 99% of the populace.
Luckily, the equations for acoustics, horns and speakers like MJK and similar models assume incompressible flow.

Quote:
I worked on Class D circuits at one time and they are tricky. Not suitable for most DIY's. The analogs are super stable and easy to trouble shoot for a lot of DIY.
Class D is well suited for DIY just look at forum on Class D.
Old 27th February 2013, 01:49 AM   #24
Rob41 is offline Rob41  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo theory View Post
Yes, line array. try this one.
Yes again for a line array/line source of full rangers coupled with a good sub to bring up the bottom end would do well in a good size space. You will hear the music clearly up close or at the farthest ends of your space.
Old 27th February 2013, 01:59 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Pick up 3 more pairs of old AR 2s (I can help with that) then take your pick of 700hz and up mid/hi drivers and have a good time! Three ways are for pervs!
Old 27th February 2013, 03:03 AM   #26
sippy is online now sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Planet10 Emken......
Eminence Beta12LTA in the biggest 'Ken' box - Ladies & Gentlemen - The Emken
Not overly hard to make, but made well will look stunning. Will also withstand just about anything you can throw at them, I love my pair, as do my neighbours when I play music they like..... thats neighbours within 200yrd radius of my home
Old 27th February 2013, 03:43 AM   #27
Sus is offline Sus  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Madisound

I've checked out a few dealers that sell speakers and plans. Being new here but learning I will assume that I can mention names. I have no connections with any one in the audio biz. Drat.

They have a new set of prints in Asian printing. Do you think I build one of these the vocals will be ok in English? A Fostek FE203EN-S is recommended. The enclosure looks like about 41" H x12"W with a 7" driver. I'm interested. Any opinions ? + or - is just fine.

I'm already burned out trying to untangle the mix of opinions and information.

I've never been a fan of coax speakers if that is the right term for this one. But on the other hand it sure makes life easier.

Not much money here since it's a DIY wood shop project. If I don't like it no big deal. Time's cheap when retired.

Anyone got a comment on MDF vs baltic birch plywood? Since I can get 3/4" MDF for $13 a sheet I'll probably use it. At least for the first model. I use MDF a lot for models and tooling. Hack, koff.

This is just my opinion tonight, if you don't like them I have others tomorrow.
Old 27th February 2013, 04:49 AM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sus View Post
Anyone got a comment on MDF vs baltic birch plywood? Since I can get 3/4" MDF for $13 a sheet I'll probably use it.
We get free MDF and won't use it.

dave
Old 27th February 2013, 02:51 PM   #29
Sus is offline Sus  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
We get free MDF and won't use it.

dave
So whats wrong with MDF in Audio? Being heavy and dense with no tendency to vibrate or do weird motions would seem like a very good good thing to me.

The dust is a no no while fabricating but not a problem in my shop.

It's fragile and doesn't like abuse. On any new design I build I usually make a full scale model with the stuff.
Old 27th February 2013, 03:47 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I for one would like an opinion if you actually heard a difference between your MDF mock-up and the finished plywood cabinet. I am unconvinced that the reported low-level energy release from MDF vs plywood is indeed audible. Fro the record, though, I now build exclusivity in plywood because 1) the dust problem 2) the reduced shipping weight and 3) the reluctance of my targeted audience to accept MDF as a viable HiFi material.

Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!