What do you like?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
One of my searches turned un Martin J King. Seems to be a mathematician. As the saying goes A physic major is a fail mathematician, an engineer is a fail physics major. So that leaves me in 3rd place. Who am I to argue with Mr King?

Engineer for sure.

Fluid dynamics is probably one of the more difficult studies in school.Any thing to do with air is uncompromisable to 99% of the populace.

Luckily, the equations for acoustics, horns and speakers like MJK and similar models assume incompressible flow.

I worked on Class D circuits at one time and they are tricky. Not suitable for most DIY's. The analogs are super stable and easy to trouble shoot for a lot of DIY.

Class D is well suited for DIY just look at forum on Class D.

Madisound

I've checked out a few dealers that sell speakers and plans. Being new here but learning I will assume that I can mention names. I have no connections with any one in the audio biz. Drat.

They have a new set of prints in Asian printing. Do you think I build one of these the vocals will be ok in English? A Fostek FE203EN-S is recommended. The enclosure looks like about 41" H x12"W with a 7" driver. I'm interested. Any opinions ? + or - is just fine.

I'm already burned out trying to untangle the mix of opinions and information.

I've never been a fan of coax speakers if that is the right term for this one. But on the other hand it sure makes life easier.

Not much money here since it's a DIY wood shop project. If I don't like it no big deal. Time's cheap when retired.

Anyone got a comment on MDF vs baltic birch plywood? Since I can get 3/4" MDF for $13 a sheet I'll probably use it. At least for the first model. I use MDF a lot for models and tooling. Hack, koff.

This is just my opinion tonight, if you don't like them I have others tomorrow.

We get free MDF and won't use it.

dave

So whats wrong with MDF in Audio? Being heavy and dense with no tendency to vibrate or do weird motions would seem like a very good good thing to me.

The dust is a no no while fabricating but not a problem in my shop.

It's fragile and doesn't like abuse. On any new design I build I usually make a full scale model with the stuff.

I for one would like an opinion if you actually heard a difference between your MDF mock-up and the finished plywood cabinet. I am unconvinced that the reported low-level energy release from MDF vs plywood is indeed audible. Fro the record, though, I now build exclusivity in plywood because 1) the dust problem 2) the reduced shipping weight and 3) the reluctance of my targeted audience to accept MDF as a viable HiFi material.

Bob

I for one would like an opinion if you actually heard a difference between your MDF mock-up and the finished plywood cabinet. I am unconvinced that the reported low-level energy release from MDF vs plywood is indeed audible. Fro the record, though, I now build exclusivity in plywood because 1) the dust problem 2) the reduced shipping weight and 3) the reluctance of my targeted audience to accept MDF as a viable HiFi material.

Bob

Uh, I'm just a lurker and have built nothing yet in speakers so have no personal experience with MDF or plywood. I agree with you though if selling a product . MDF is considered junk by most but not my me in other projects. It has it's place.

So right now after a lot of reading I'm on a enclosure plan search. Madisound publish free a bunch of them for Fostek. The latest plan, as I mentioned,.looked very interesting. I didn't see any any plans at Parts Express. They sell boxes and kits but I have a nice shop and want to do this my self.

This is such a difficult and confusing field for a noobie. I have to jump in and start some where . The first one doesn't have to be perfect but it would give me a standard for future builds.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You should check out plans here Frugal-phile DIY Audio Community Site

A lot of the Fostex plans are not very good from what I have heard - they have not been through the rigor of MJK sims.

If you are completely new to DIY full range speaker building, I can personally recommend the Cornucopya as a first DIY project (as can many other on this thread). Very easy, very rewarding with a great sounding and unique speaker.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/225622-ever-think-building-cornu-spiral-horn-now-you-can.html

Good luck!
:)

Last edited:
You should check out plans here Frugal-phile DIY Audio Community Site

A lot of the Fostex plans are not very good from what I have heard - they have not been through the rigor of MJK sims.

If you are completely new to DIY full range speaker building, I can personally recommend the Cornucopya as a first DIY project (as can many other on this thread). Very easy, very rewarding with a great sounding and unique speaker.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...k-building-cornu-spiral-horn-now-you-can.html

XRK that's some good tips. I have rabbit ears and when some one mentions something I listen. You mentioned MJK . I did a quick read and liked it. Has he ever published a list of cabinets he likes ? I might just build a Corn for fun. The RC community builds all sorts of small, what we call park park fliers, models from that foam.. Electric powered mostly.

I'm spending way to much time reading. I certainly have noticed no consensus which is typical in a field that is subjective. It was this way in the 70's and nothing has changed.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
XRK that's some good tips. I have rabbit ears and when some one mentions something I listen. You mentioned MJK . I did a quick read and liked it. Has he ever published a list of cabinets he likes ? I might just build a Corn for fun. The RC community builds all sorts of small, what we call park park fliers, models from that foam.. Electric powered mostly.

I'm spending way to much time reading. I certainly have noticed no consensus which is typical in a field that is subjective. It was this way in the 70's and nothing has changed.

If you haven't seen the projects built using MJK's designs yet, some are here:
Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design Gallery

I figured this stuff would make good rc planes, I can see how stiff and light it is.

The TABAQ is another good beginner diy project that sounds great.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sus,
You should consider line arrays if your need is to fill the entire 2000 square foot space with music like a concert arena. But if you will be typically spending more time in a certain section, I think that speakers with good point imaging and sufficient spl for say a 500 square foot area would be better. Line arrays are not going to give you the same music experience as point sources and sub woofer augmentation.

I checked out some pictures at the MJK site as was recommend. I found one speaker by Paul Norton that visually made a statement you can't deny.. I don't care what this thing sound like but I want one. It has a date stamp of 2005 so its been around a long time .Should be opinions on this but so far I haven't found any.

It's a quarter wave using a 8" Peerless woofer. Sort of reminds me of the Nautilus a bit. This would be a real fun wood project for me. I'm back ordered a bit so it gives me plenty of time for some research. Just finished up a table for a big ol Wide screen . Ready to stain today or tomorrow. I can't spray until the weather warms up. Next up is a bath room remodel.

If you want to see a partial picture of my shop on You Tube goggle Halbert blastgate and it should pop up. A blast gate is a device used to shuttle the vacuum to the machine being use. I'm working on a cyclone shop vac presentation right now that will show a bit more shop.No matter how big a shop you have one needs more space.

So now I'm hyped on a quarter wave speaker . Tomorrow is another day and I'll probably change my mind again. Nothing wishey washie about me. I least I'm staying with the project. If I live long enough just maybe I can figure this stuff out but I don't think even God is there yet.

BLHred.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.