What do you like? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2013, 05:54 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Is Sus going to respond at all? Did he leave us to quibble amongst ourselves?
I swear, you could start a thread asking for advice, never check on it again and it will be about 50 pages long full of advice for someone who isn't listening.....along with plenty of disagreements and heated discussions along the way

Last edited by Melo theory; 26th February 2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Spellcheck!
Old 26th February 2013, 06:01 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Lots of people read threads.. I just did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The people who replied got somthing out of the thread too.So please tell me what the problem is !!!!!..

Ps only two pages long at the moment .. A long way till this thread makes 50 posts dont you think

Last edited by madtecchy; 26th February 2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 26th February 2013, 06:05 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

It's not a problem. It's just funny.
Kind of like talking to someone on the phone for a while just to realize you've been disconnected for about 30 seconds.
Ok, calm down. Breath......r e l a x.
I was just making a humorous observation

Last edited by Melo theory; 26th February 2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 26th February 2013, 03:21 PM   #14
Sus is offline Sus  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What don't you like?

Uh, right now its seems to be me. Just kidding. I've spent hours goggling speakers and have decided not to decide but keep looking. It does appear a back loaded horn is a work in progress and not ready yet for prime time. I also think a separate sub woofer is a good idea. That takes a big design load of the engineer.

So less I hear I'm on the wrong track again I have to figure out how to do subs. Then after that I'll worry about the other half. Hmm do I have this backwards again?

So I apologize for not getting back but I had nothing to say until now. I will post next in the sub section if that's ok. I will also follow this thread if there is more to say about design. I work slow so patience please.
Old 26th February 2013, 04:02 PM   #15
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sus View Post
Uh, right now its seems to be me. Just kidding. I've spent hours goggling speakers and have decided not to decide but keep looking. It does appear a back loaded horn is a work in progress and not ready yet for prime time. I also think a separate sub woofer is a good idea. That takes a big design load of the engineer.

So less I hear I'm on the wrong track again I have to figure out how to do subs. Then after that I'll worry about the other half. Hmm do I have this backwards again?

So I apologize for not getting back but I had nothing to say until now. I will post next in the sub section if that's ok. I will also follow this thread if there is more to say about design. I work slow so patience please.
I missed how you came to the conclusion that BLH's are a work in progress and not ready for prime time?

There are plenty of great BLH designs on this forum that sound incredible. Or do you mean you want deep deep bass from a sub - in which case a BLH may not be the trick but a tapped horn sub will kill a conventional BR sub in efficiency and depth of bass extension.
Old 26th February 2013, 04:40 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

IMHO, subs for that space are going to be very very large.

If you're not bothered by the last word in detail, but would rather a "big", "fun" sound*, the design I suggested will do the job, and do it well.

*search for Eminence 12LT on this forum - there's a thread around somewhere.
Old 26th February 2013, 06:23 PM   #17
Sus is offline Sus  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I missed how you came to the conclusion that BLH's are a work in progress and not ready for prime time?

There are plenty of great BLH designs on this forum that sound incredible. Or do you mean you want deep deep bass from a sub - in which case a BLH may not be the trick but a tapped horn sub will kill a conventional BR sub in efficiency and depth of bass extension.

One of my searches turned un Martin J King. Seems to be a mathematician. As the saying goes A physic major is a fail mathematician, an engineer is a fail physics major. So that leaves me in 3rd place. Who am I to argue with Mr King?

Fluid dynamics is probably one of the more difficult studies in school.Any thing to do with air is uncompromisable to 99% of the populace. Air is considered a fluid . I've played a round a bit with airfoils . Gave up when two PhD[s ,one from MIT jumped into it. They had acess to super computers and wind tunnels. The other thing I got into was dust separations for the home hobby shop using cyclones. Only only one University got in to this with the PhD/'s at work again. Their work was just so so imho. So now we have Asian made cyclones sold that don't work very well, no standards or ligit tests by the mags. A very highly controversial subject that I stay clear of.

I tried to find cabinet prints for the Eminence 12LT with out sucess. Speakers are available. Some notes indicate a sub may be needed. The big advantage of back loaded horns is very low power is ok to drive them so the Tripath,class D amp is a good choice. Cheap ampower however is not a problem any more since the chip amps.

I worked on Class D circuits at one time and they are tricky. Not suitable for most DIY's. The analogs are super stable and easy to trouble shoot for a lot of DIY.
Old 26th February 2013, 06:25 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sus View Post
One of my searches turned un Martin J King. Seems to be a mathematician.
Engineer.

dave
Old 26th February 2013, 07:22 PM   #19
Pnotus is offline Pnotus  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A physic major is a fail mathematician, an engineer is a fail physics major
Ouch!

And here I go about being proud of my diploma... I knew I shouldn´t have skipped second fluid dynamics course...

On another note - Line arrays are nice and can be made however complex you would want them to be

/Pontus
Old 26th February 2013, 07:31 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Yes, line array. try this one.
Stupid Cheap Line Array

Hide this!Advertise here!