FH3 - I've moved house and now they sound, not so awesome :( - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2013, 11:18 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Re the wire, if you're changing your drive units for the A7, it becomes irrelevant.
Old 25th February 2013, 11:36 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

What about a passive baffle step compensation circuit? (don't shoot me) or will it kill the liveliness of the FH3?
Old 25th February 2013, 08:05 PM   #33
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvesound View Post
What about a passive baffle step compensation circuit? (don't shoot me) or will it kill the liveliness of the FH3?
IMHO not required with A7.3s in the FH3
Old 25th February 2013, 09:15 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Not required with the A7. The cabinet & driver compensate for step loss without requiring any shelving filters.
Old 21st March 2013, 12:46 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Alpair 7.3 drivers fitted and things are much improved. ish.

Sat in the central listening position bass is still a bit flat but standing up or nead the amp in the centre off to one side etc bass gets a lot fuller.

I think I'm going to try making some corner platforms for the horns to sit on. I can feel the bass in the carpet and vibrating the floorboards just not the air!

The A7's are superb though. No need for the tweeters anymore and I'm sure the bass is now available to find and exploit. Lovely sounding things despite the few hours on them.
Old 21st March 2013, 06:30 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

After some experimentation I've made some good progress.

I've put the speakers on some nice big and heavy slate tiles. This helped a bit but the bass became boomy.

Next, I tilted the speakers down at the fron edge tipping th ehorn forward, bit better.

Lastly, I've moved them away from the back wall but kept them tight to the outer walls and, yes. Very yes. Boom has gone, detailed bass has arrived and is present in the listening spot rather than everywhere else. Its is now very VERY good to listen to!

I'll report back some more once the drivers have bedded in some more. They're loosening up quickly which is good for my ears.
Old 23rd March 2013, 08:58 PM   #37
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The Compact backloaded horn might be the ticket (built by me and some measurements as well)
MJK's Fostex FF125wk BLH project
Or the CT_164 horn
Single Driver Website
Old 27th April 2013, 02:46 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Its been a little while now and the drivers have now bedded in. The sound is overall, excellent but on certain notes and frequencies the horns can make you cringe. I don't know quite how to describe it. Its only on certain notes that it becomes prominent, mostly on acoustic guitar music and when it occurs makes you pull a displeasing face!

I tried packing some wadding into the horns opening which corrected it but the sound suffered everywhere else, is there a specific internal setup for the alpair 7 I should try?
Old 27th April 2013, 04:19 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

I've just tried more moving in and out of corners, a small amount of stuffing in the horn opening and, different tubes (reissue mullard el34, tung sol 6l6gc-str, mullard ecc81, mullard cv4024 ecc81) and no difference, gotta be something I've done wrong with the speakers.
Old 29th April 2013, 08:33 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudchute View Post
Its been a little while now and the drivers have now bedded in. The sound is overall, excellent but on certain notes and frequencies the horns can make you cringe. I don't know quite how to describe it. Its only on certain notes that it becomes prominent, mostly on acoustic guitar music and when it occurs makes you pull a displeasing face!

I tried packing some wadding into the horns opening which corrected it but the sound suffered everywhere else, is there a specific internal setup for the alpair 7 I should try?
You mention adding / removing stuffing in the area below the driver and the effect it has on the sound. I found the same, the area below the driver is like changing a 2 - way speakers cross-over network. Huge effect and all one can do there is get the overall balance of low, mid and highs as good as possible. One cannot fix certain areas in the frequency range there without effecting other areas in a bad way. What I did to get rid of those "ear-hurting-shouting" frequencies was padding the area behind the driver. I found the problem I had was sound waves reflecting back through the driver cone. I solved that by adding about 20g of acousta stuff right behind the driver, the section between the V and the throat. My suggestion would be to try there. BTW, I have the CSS EL70en drivers.

Hide this!Advertise here!