Urgent Help - Munny FR Drivers??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2013, 05:30 PM   #1
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Default Urgent Help - Munny FR Drivers???

Guys,

My 10 yr old son decided that for his scientific fair project he wants to build a pair of 7" Munny Doll speakers, as per PE instructions. For this project PE uses the Dayton 2-1/2" FR ND65-8 (4 Ohm version also avail.). Apparently it fits perfectly, and the specs on this little driver are too good to be true, 80Hz - 20kHz, though Sensitivity is 78.3 dB; most of the other drivers in this category are around 110+ Hz to 18+ kHz, and 82+ dB. The other thing is that the baffle cutout for the Dayton's is 2.05", while for others is closer to 3", flange dims. is also small for the Dayton, and I don't know if the Munny Doll head will hold a larger driver.

The drivers are $19.30 ea. (they better be good). I was thinking that for around $40.00 I can buy other less expensive 2-1/2" drivers, and buy a 6" Aura Woofer (PE Buyout), and for around $30.00 worth of drivers, have the doll PC speakers, and a "subwoofer" (maybe passive), powered by the same Dayton DTA-1 T-Amp that will be used to power the speakers.

Any recommendations, as far as driver goes? This is a project that will be done by a 10 yr old, so needs to be simple, but at the same time exciting for him. Your input is appreciated.
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

No takers...Not even to recommend drivers
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:23 AM   #3
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Take a look at vifa tc7fd 2.5 in driver. Or get a logitech s120 pc speaker and strip out the two visaton lookalike frs5 drivers.

Last edited by xrk971; 22nd February 2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:40 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

That Dayton driver is a smaller version of the Aura NS3. I'd get the 3" version on sale at Madisound.

The Madisound Speaker Store

(also available in silver)

Click the image to open in full size.

They certainly are the bass kings in theur size, the price paid is low efficiency

dave
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:41 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
.... logitech s120 pc speaker....
Most (if not all) are Tangband OEM units.

dave
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
That Dayton driver is a smaller version of the Aura NS3. I'd get the 3" version on sale at Madisound.

The Madisound Speaker Store

(also available in silver)

Click the image to open in full size.

They certainly are the bass kings in theur size, the price paid is low efficiency

dave
I have looked at this Munny doll before and the problem is the head of the doll won't accommodate the 3 in ns3 which is a way better deal. The s120 driver looks like no TB I have seen with the two tab mounting holes just like frs5. I agree that logitech uses TB on larger speakers in the 3 in size.
Old 22nd February 2013, 01:10 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There is always the $2.50 Aura buy-out at Madisound. Same basket as the Dayton.

dave
Old 22nd February 2013, 04:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have looked at this Munny doll before and the problem is the head of the doll won't accommodate the 3 in ns3 which is a way better deal. The s120 driver looks like no TB I have seen with the two tab mounting holes just like frs5. I agree that logitech uses TB on larger speakers in the 3 in size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
There is always the $2.50 Aura buy-out at Madisound. Same basket as the Dayton.

dave
Thanks for your help...It looks like I will keep the Dayton, the fact that they advertise 80Hz - 20kHz range is simply amazing for a 2.5", bass king in their size, just like the suggested Aura is in 3". When you look at them they are designed like a subwoofer driver. Yes, efficiency is low in general, but don't want a 10 yr old blasting music around the house, so it is not that bad.
Old 22nd February 2013, 04:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Let us know how the Munny doll speaker works out and post photos. Have you considered a BR ported Munny doll? Fill the doll with water and measure the volume (enlarge the neck and use the body too (possibly). Run a BR program and calculate the vent. Where to put the vent? A vent shaped like a big fat cigarette is not appropriate for a 10 yr old Maybe a top hat?
Old 22nd February 2013, 04:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Let us know how the Munny doll speaker works out and post photos. Have you considered a BR ported Munny doll? Fill the doll with water and measure the volume (enlarge the neck and use the body too (possibly). Run a BR program and calculate the vent. Where to put the vent? A vent shaped like a big fat cigarette is not appropriate for a 10 yr old Maybe a top hat?
Great idea! I don't smoke myself, though every other month or so I smoke a couple of good cigars, so modeling a cigar/cigarette as a vent wouldn't have occurred to me. Back in my college years the vent would have been...Let's leave it there....

Hide this!Advertise here!