diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Urgent Help - Munny FR Drivers??? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/230557-urgent-help-munny-fr-drivers.html)

guangui 21st February 2013 05:30 PM

Urgent Help - Munny FR Drivers???

Guys,

My 10 yr old son decided that for his scientific fair project he wants to build a pair of 7" Munny Doll speakers, as per PE instructions. For this project PE uses the Dayton 2-1/2" FR ND65-8 (4 Ohm version also avail.). Apparently it fits perfectly, and the specs on this little driver are too good to be true, 80Hz - 20kHz, though Sensitivity is 78.3 dB; most of the other drivers in this category are around 110+ Hz to 18+ kHz, and 82+ dB. The other thing is that the baffle cutout for the Dayton's is 2.05", while for others is closer to 3", flange dims. is also small for the Dayton, and I don't know if the Munny Doll head will hold a larger driver.

The drivers are $19.30 ea. (they better be good). I was thinking that for around $40.00 I can buy other less expensive 2-1/2" drivers, and buy a 6" Aura Woofer (PE Buyout), and for around $30.00 worth of drivers, have the doll PC speakers, and a "subwoofer" (maybe passive), powered by the same Dayton DTA-1 T-Amp that will be used to power the speakers.

Any recommendations, as far as driver goes? This is a project that will be done by a 10 yr old, so needs to be simple, but at the same time exciting for him. Your input is appreciated.

guangui 22nd February 2013 12:16 AM

No takers...Not even to recommend drivers

xrk971 22nd February 2013 12:23 AM

Take a look at vifa tc7fd 2.5 in driver. Or get a logitech s120 pc speaker and strip out the two visaton lookalike frs5 drivers.
:D

planet10 22nd February 2013 12:40 AM

That Dayton driver is a smaller version of the Aura NS3. I'd get the 3" version on sale at Madisound.

The Madisound Speaker Store

(also available in silver)

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...s3-193-8a1.jpg

They certainly are the bass kings in theur size, the price paid is low efficiency

dave

planet10 22nd February 2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrk971 (Post 3380465)
.... logitech s120 pc speaker....

Most (if not all) are Tangband OEM units.

dave

xrk971 22nd February 2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet10 (Post 3380491)
That Dayton driver is a smaller version of the Aura NS3. I'd get the 3" version on sale at Madisound.

The Madisound Speaker Store

(also available in silver)

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...s3-193-8a1.jpg

They certainly are the bass kings in theur size, the price paid is low efficiency

dave

I have looked at this Munny doll before and the problem is the head of the doll won't accommodate the 3 in ns3 which is a way better deal. The s120 driver looks like no TB I have seen with the two tab mounting holes just like frs5. I agree that logitech uses TB on larger speakers in the 3 in size.

planet10 22nd February 2013 01:10 AM

There is always the $2.50 Aura buy-out at Madisound. Same basket as the Dayton.

dave

guangui 22nd February 2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrk971 (Post 3380501)
I have looked at this Munny doll before and the problem is the head of the doll won't accommodate the 3 in ns3 which is a way better deal. The s120 driver looks like no TB I have seen with the two tab mounting holes just like frs5. I agree that logitech uses TB on larger speakers in the 3 in size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet10 (Post 3380550)
There is always the $2.50 Aura buy-out at Madisound. Same basket as the Dayton.

dave

Thanks for your help...It looks like I will keep the Dayton, the fact that they advertise 80Hz - 20kHz range is simply amazing for a 2.5", bass king in their size, just like the suggested Aura is in 3". When you look at them they are designed like a subwoofer driver. Yes, efficiency is low in general, but don't want a 10 yr old blasting music around the house, so it is not that bad.

xrk971 22nd February 2013 04:51 PM

Let us know how the Munny doll speaker works out and post photos. Have you considered a BR ported Munny doll? Fill the doll with water and measure the volume (enlarge the neck and use the body too (possibly). Run a BR program and calculate the vent. Where to put the vent? A vent shaped like a big fat cigarette is not appropriate for a 10 yr old ;) Maybe a top hat?

guangui 22nd February 2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrk971 (Post 3381471)
Let us know how the Munny doll speaker works out and post photos. Have you considered a BR ported Munny doll? Fill the doll with water and measure the volume (enlarge the neck and use the body too (possibly). Run a BR program and calculate the vent. Where to put the vent? A vent shaped like a big fat cigarette is not appropriate for a 10 yr old ;) Maybe a top hat?

Great idea! I don't smoke myself, though every other month or so I smoke a couple of good cigars, so modeling a cigar/cigarette as a vent wouldn't have occurred to me. Back in my college years the vent would have been...Let's leave it there....:rolleyes: