Designing Tang Band 881si Enclosures - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2013, 04:48 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

tuxedocivic,

Our experiences with the drivers are polar opposites. You keep laughing and I'll keep enjoying mine. I am quite certain that if you were to hear mine, you would not laugh.

BTW, I have not yet had the time to move them from the bedroom to the living room for a measurement session, but hope to do it soon.

Last edited by cogitech; 22nd February 2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 24th February 2013, 12:56 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

So maybe I'm just feeling less adventurous today, but I'm thinking now that maybe I'll just build the TABAQ with these and try something "new" with the next set. These would replace the built in speakers on the TV probably. I could try with 3/4" ply. They are not the cool bookshelf speakers I had in mind, but maybe I'll try for those later and if the TABAQ has good sound, I'd have something to compare to.

Gerrrr.... I feel like I'm lowering my standards by copying another design. Maybe my blood sugar is low. Time to eat.
Old 24th February 2013, 01:17 PM   #33
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Wally,
Build the folded Tabaq, it is almost bookshelf size at 15 in tall x 10 deep x 4 in wide (internal dim).
Old 24th February 2013, 03:49 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Indeed. I agree.

And Wally, there's no shame in using proven designs. That's why they are shared here, and the vast majority of DIY builds are from proven designs.

Go for it and then post your results!
Old 24th February 2013, 04:05 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

I'm much further along in my understanding and plans due to the great folks here. Thanks guys. I might have mentioned before that I had my gallbladder out and then a weak later went in for a hernia repair, so I've been needing something to keep my mind active. A foray into speaker design ideas (and well dreaming about the new Nikon D7100) has been most entertaining and has really helped pass the time. I can't lift anything above 20lbs, so I won't be in the workshop in the coming weeks, but when I do get out there and put these little drivers in something I'll be sure to post back. Thanks again and happy listening,
Seth
Old 24th February 2013, 04:50 PM   #36
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

If you can pick up a razor and a glue gun you can make speakers out of foam core. You can do it in your bed room or kitchen table. Lots of fun, learn a lot about the different designs, and they even sound good. When able, build the ones you like in wood.
Old 26th February 2013, 10:15 PM   #37
russo is offline russo  Portugal
diyAudio Member

This seems to be a simple way to get into DIY speakers, and then into DIY amps, but I can't find a shop in Europe that sells the Tang Bands, and buying from Parts-Express will be pretty expensive, because there is a minimum fee of 50$ in parts to ship overseas, and at that value I will be ripped by the customs
Any one knows some shop in Europe that has this speakers in stock?
Old 26th February 2013, 11:12 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Russo,

Here is a link to the tang Band site with their distributors
Tangband Speakers

This website in Germany has Tang Band drivers (3" and 4")
Breitbandlautsprecher - Lautsprechershop von blue planet acoustic

You might try eBay in Europe as well. There are other drivers with a similar design and Thiele Parameters. Fostex is a brand that is distributed in Europe and will have a comparable 3" driver.
Old 26th February 2013, 11:15 PM   #39
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

It's the same subject, so I hope is not a thread hijack...Anyways, all my DIY projects have been copied from proven designs (ie. uFonken), OB, and BR enclosures. In order to learn other type of enclosures, I started reading on TWQT, and did a simple design, which I will make of Foam Core to try it. The W3-881SI is the driver for this design. My question is on dampen. Should I line with wool, and if so where? Or, should I use polyfill only (T1 area I would gather)? Or, should I use both? BR I just line completely, but not sure about TWQT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TQWT_W3_881SI.jpg (43.6 KB, 107 views)
Old 26th February 2013, 11:16 PM   #40
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

BTW, drawing is not to scale.

Hide this!Advertise here!