Greg Monfort ML-TL Design Update for Alpair 10.2 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2013, 09:00 PM   #31
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Scott - yup it was the original PAWO that caused us come issues:

- the CSS FR / WR125 drivers had vastly more motor strength than the suspension could handle, and it was very easy to exceed the linear excursion limits with flatulatory results - in extreme cases the bottom of voice coil former might even be damaged, but I don't recall having done that ourselves - these drivers worked better for us in highly resistive vented designs (the original mini-onken and a bipole MLTL for example)

- we changed out the drivers in a pair of bamboo enclosures to Fostex FE127, and needed to add a solid wood supra-baffle to cover the recessed frame cut-out for the CSS driver - this provided almost another full inch of clearance behind the driver
Old 17th July 2013, 09:54 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Hi Squeak

To avoid raising frequency caused by baffle step you need an extremely wide baffle. A small baffle would still need some compensation, but starting at a higher frequency.

MJK´s models predict the result in your listening room and also has a model for a Baffle Step Circuit.

Take a look at the articles on Martin´s page.
Old 18th July 2013, 12:38 AM   #33
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjohannesen View Post
Hi Squeak

To avoid raising frequency caused by baffle step you need an extremely wide baffle. A small baffle would still need some compensation, but starting at a higher frequency.

MJK´s models predict the result in your listening room and also has a model for a Baffle Step Circuit.

Take a look at the articles on Martin´s page.
But if you design the speaker to be shallow in depth which permits you to put it close to or all the way up against the wall, you will get a very large baffle.
Most speakers are placed against a wall if not for practical and WAF reasons then to get boundary loading.
With the beaming of most FR drivers corner or wall placement is usually not the problem it is with tweeter equipped speakers.
Old 18th July 2013, 05:36 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Yes Squeak you are right. If the speaker is at the wall and not near field, you could do without baffle step compensation. It depends on your personal preferrences. I always use compensation filter following the sims in MJK's models.

Like stuffing baffle step compensation is a tuning option.

Hi from Bjorn
Old 11th July 2014, 07:12 PM   #35
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMountain View Post
I will build one or both with the new dimensions and report back.
Update?

GM
Old 13th July 2014, 05:15 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Hi Greg,
No progress with the Alpair builds as I have taken a detour.
I have been playing with vintage drivers and open baffles and am absolutely thrilled with the results.
Also I built a 45 valve amp recently and the MA drivers are not quite sensitive enough.
I am holding on to both Alpair drivers however and still hope to build your designs down the road. Best, Jason
Old 13th July 2014, 06:29 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Understood! While modern low Vas, Qms drivers are technically more correct for OB, there's a certain 'relaxed' sound to the old high Vas drivers, especially when coupled to a high output impedance, not to mention their rising suspensions let you know well in advance of impending doom unlike MA's and other brand drivers with XBL^2 or similar motor designs that 'announce' it with a sharp 'clang' even though not playing all that loud, but just has a 'fast' transient spike [assuming the amp doesn't clip it first].

GM
Old 13th July 2014, 07:17 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Right. Although the MA units now have arrestors that physically limit travel before you bounce the VC off the back-plate.

There's something about the older units, or the better ones anyway. Somebody, please bring back the 755 (no chance, I know. ).

Last edited by Scottmoose; 13th July 2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 13th July 2014, 11:17 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Cool! When did this begin?

It' not that there's no chance, just that it's doubtful anyone would pay what it costs since there's a 10 k minimum diaphragm order at $100/ea. IIRC back in the late '90s. Factor in AlNiCo and the retail cost shrinks their marketability to = a very expensive labor of 'love'.

GM
Old 14th July 2014, 12:45 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

IIRC about 6 months back. The ones with the arrestor have an 'A' in their name, e.g. Alpair 10A (Gen. 3) etc. Pretty neat actually -it makes a whistling sound when you get near the limits to let you know.

Ouch. Yeah, I can see that giving some pause. Pity. Hopefully somebody will step up to the plate eventually if they can take the long-term / small sales volume view & price accordingly. Not that I could afford them at present, but I live in hope.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 14th July 2014 at 12:53 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!