Need some help please....Mac user... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2013, 05:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default Need some help please....Mac user...

Greetings all.

After an almost 10 year hiatus, I am back and getting the itch to build some more speakers.

Something strange has happened since then...I now do not own a Windows machine. Two Macbook Pro's, and two iMacs, but nothing else. The tools I used to use a lot were Winisd, Weems's TQWP (which does not jive with Mac's spreadsheet), and hornresp.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 06:50 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrctyman View Post
Greetings all.

After an almost 10 year hiatus, I am back and getting the itch to build some more speakers.

Something strange has happened since then...I now do not own a Windows machine. Two Macbook Pro's, and two iMacs, but nothing else. The tools I used to use a lot were Winisd, Weems's TQWP (which does not jive with Mac's spreadsheet), and hornresp.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
contact Dave Dlugos via the Planet10 site email
__________________
now on sabbatical
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 06:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Installing Wine on Mac OS X

use WINE, it will run any simple programs like Hornresp, WinISD etc etc
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 08:03 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
use WINE
The polished version.

Run Windows on Mac and Linux, easily and affordably

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 08:39 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
Installing Wine on Mac OS X

use WINE, it will run any simple programs like Hornresp, WinISD etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

both "solutions" assume that the OP still has or wants to reacquire the legacy Windows based application software - there may well be more current, powerful and flexible applications that run native in OS10 - (or not)
__________________
now on sabbatical
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 09:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Thank you! I was not aware of software that allowed me to run windows on OS10...

Now excited to take the next step to get something drawn up!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 10:06 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrctyman View Post
I was not aware of software that allowed me to run windows on OS10...
A Mac will also boot directly into Windoz (Boot Camp)

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 11:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
cogitech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kamloops, BC
WINE is OK and Crossover is a bit better, but not worth the money IMO.

Boot camp is an option, but rebooting into Windblows every time becomes tedious.

The best (free) option is to install Oracle VM Virtualbox and then install whatever version of Windows you want in that. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

It allows you to run both OS's simultaneously (one natively, one in a virtual machine) which prevents having to reboot all the time and allows access to the apps on both OSs at the same time. It is dead simple to use, and you can in fact create and run as many VMs as your computer can handle (try Linux too! )

Here's what OS X looks like running Windows 7 in a virtual machine:
Click the image to open in full size.

Note: I am a long-time Linux user and have used all of the discussed solutions to run various Windows apps. By far the most issue-free experience (for me) is running Windows in a VM. Wherever possible, of course, I simply try to find alternatives to the Windows app, but as we know that is not always possible.

Last edited by cogitech; 13th February 2013 at 12:00 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 07:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
Note: I am a long-time Linux user and have used all of the discussed solutions to run various Windows apps. By far the most issue-free experience (for me) is running Windows in a VM. Wherever possible, of course, I simply try to find alternatives to the Windows app, but as we know that is not always possible.
I am also a 12+ years only Linux user, and windows NT4 was my last version of windows. Windows of any version scares me as I have no idea how to debug avoid trouble with windows. I fully agree with this, but winISD does run just fine under wine.

Since wine is mostly developed under Linux it may not be quiet as nice under MacOS X. Since MacOS X is mostly freeBSD from an API perspective "wine", will probably not be much worse.

Using a VM may be easier though if you dont know how to use a UNIX command line and can put up with "installing windows for the first time" messages.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 07:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
cogitech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kamloops, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenhamburg View Post
I am also a 12+ years only Linux user, and windows NT4 was my last version of windows. Windows of any version scares me as I have no idea how to debug avoid trouble with windows. I fully agree with this, but winISD does run just fine under wine.

Since wine is mostly developed under Linux it may not be quiet as nice under MacOS X. Since MacOS X is mostly freeBSD from an API perspective "wine", will probably not be much worse.

Using a VM may be easier though if you dont know how to use a UNIX command line and can put up with "installing windows for the first time" messages.
Indeed, WinISD does run perfectly in WINE. In fact, that is how I run it, just for the convenience of not having to boot the Windows VM. Not sure about other box design apps, though. Having a Windows VM is handy for other things though, like when I need to provide friends/family with "Remote Assistance" on their messed up Windows machines, or run something that doesn't work easily in WINE.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New User. Glegalee Introductions 3 13th July 2012 07:00 PM
New user maxmix69 Introductions 5 23rd March 2009 01:04 PM
Mac Problem!!! Any helpful Mac people? ambience exists Everything Else 17 26th September 2008 06:37 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:37 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2