diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Need some help please....Mac user... (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/229887-need-some-help-please-mac-user.html)

motrctyman 12th February 2013 04:58 PM

Need some help please....Mac user...

Greetings all.

After an almost 10 year hiatus, I am back and getting the itch to build some more speakers. :D

Something strange has happened since then...I now do not own a Windows machine. Two Macbook Pro's, and two iMacs, but nothing else. The tools I used to use a lot were Winisd, Weems's TQWP (which does not jive with Mac's spreadsheet), and hornresp. :confused:

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

chrisb 12th February 2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motrctyman (Post 3366981)
Greetings all.

After an almost 10 year hiatus, I am back and getting the itch to build some more speakers. :D

Something strange has happened since then...I now do not own a Windows machine. Two Macbook Pro's, and two iMacs, but nothing else. The tools I used to use a lot were Winisd, Weems's TQWP (which does not jive with Mac's spreadsheet), and hornresp. :confused:

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

contact Dave Dlugos via the Planet10 site email

gafhenderson 12th February 2013 05:53 PM

Installing Wine on Mac OS X

use WINE, it will run any simple programs like Hornresp, WinISD etc etc

planet10 12th February 2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gafhenderson (Post 3367045)
use WINE

The polished version.

Run Windows on Mac and Linux, easily and affordably

dave

chrisb 12th February 2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gafhenderson (Post 3367045)
Installing Wine on Mac OS X

use WINE, it will run any simple programs like Hornresp, WinISD etc etc

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet10 (Post 3367146)

both "solutions" assume that the OP still has or wants to reacquire the legacy Windows based application software - there may well be more current, powerful and flexible applications that run native in OS10 - (or not)

motrctyman 12th February 2013 08:25 PM

Thank you! I was not aware of software that allowed me to run windows on OS10...

Now excited to take the next step to get something drawn up!

planet10 12th February 2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motrctyman (Post 3367250)
I was not aware of software that allowed me to run windows on OS10...

A Mac will also boot directly into Windoz (Boot Camp)

dave

cogitech 12th February 2013 10:50 PM

WINE is OK and Crossover is a bit better, but not worth the money IMO.

Boot camp is an option, but rebooting into Windblows every time becomes tedious.

The best (free) option is to install Oracle VM Virtualbox and then install whatever version of Windows you want in that. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

It allows you to run both OS's simultaneously (one natively, one in a virtual machine) which prevents having to reboot all the time and allows access to the apps on both OSs at the same time. It is dead simple to use, and you can in fact create and run as many VMs as your computer can handle (try Linux too! :) )

Here's what OS X looks like running Windows 7 in a virtual machine:
https://www.virtualbox.org/raw-attac...s/mac_os_x.png

Note: I am a long-time Linux user and have used all of the discussed solutions to run various Windows apps. By far the most issue-free experience (for me) is running Windows in a VM. Wherever possible, of course, I simply try to find alternatives to the Windows app, but as we know that is not always possible.

owenhamburg 14th February 2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cogitech (Post 3367442)
Note: I am a long-time Linux user and have used all of the discussed solutions to run various Windows apps. By far the most issue-free experience (for me) is running Windows in a VM. Wherever possible, of course, I simply try to find alternatives to the Windows app, but as we know that is not always possible.

I am also a 12+ years only Linux user, and windows NT4 was my last version of windows. Windows of any version scares me as I have no idea how to debug avoid trouble with windows. I fully agree with this, but winISD does run just fine under wine.

Since wine is mostly developed under Linux it may not be quiet as nice under MacOS X. Since MacOS X is mostly freeBSD from an API perspective "wine", will probably not be much worse.

Using a VM may be easier though if you dont know how to use a UNIX command line and can put up with "installing windows for the first time" messages.

cogitech 14th February 2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by owenhamburg (Post 3369940)
I am also a 12+ years only Linux user, and windows NT4 was my last version of windows. Windows of any version scares me as I have no idea how to debug avoid trouble with windows. I fully agree with this, but winISD does run just fine under wine.

Since wine is mostly developed under Linux it may not be quiet as nice under MacOS X. Since MacOS X is mostly freeBSD from an API perspective "wine", will probably not be much worse.

Using a VM may be easier though if you dont know how to use a UNIX command line and can put up with "installing windows for the first time" messages.

Indeed, WinISD does run perfectly in WINE. In fact, that is how I run it, just for the convenience of not having to boot the Windows VM. Not sure about other box design apps, though. Having a Windows VM is handy for other things though, like when I need to provide friends/family with "Remote Assistance" on their messed up Windows machines, or run something that doesn't work easily in WINE.